The teachers in LAUSD went on strike and I chose to keep my kids home and have Mom School for as long as it took until they were ready to come back into the classroom. I'm rarely political and not nearly as educated as I should be on anything, but I love the teachers at my kids school and if they felt passionate enough that change was needed then I wanted to be there for them. The strike ended up lasting a little over a week and as silly as this sounds, I was sad to send my babies back to school. You know me, always up for an adventure and with them home I was planning one every day. In just a week we went to the Peterson Auto Museum, the Autry Western Museum, the LA Zoo, the La Brea Tar Pits, Franklin Canyon, the Annenberg Space for Photography, the Vasquez Rocks and the Abalone Cove Tide Pools...plus a few parks, the library and lots of play time here at home. I planned daily lessons, projects, reading and tests for formal education and the boys and I continued our Harry Potter reading (which we've called our Harr-athons). Quite a few times during the week I wondered whether pulling them out and homeschooling them would actually be a better experience for our family because I loved having them home so much, but I think at least one of them was definitely missing the constant stimulation that a school atmosphere provides. Anyway, school is back but I'll always have the sweetest memories of our random week in January when we pretended like it was summer and played all day, e'ry day!
The Peterson with pals.
We had a constant flow of children and friends in our home whose parents had to work during the strike but didn't feel comfortable sending their kids to school. I kept telling my boys how lucky they were that I was at home to watch and teach them, and I know they were grateful.
Quinn goes to a private preschool so she still went to school during the day while the boys were home. She kind of hated having to leave them, but if I wanted to get anything done with the boys academically then it was better for her to be at school with her friends. I tried to keep the big adventures to when she was there, but on Tuesday we went to the Autry and I was all sad seeing Quinn's dairy without our little Quinn with us.
My little flamingo with some of her flamingo friends.
This is the best swing around and T pumped Cora for almost an hour, bless him! All she wants to do is swing, swing, swing when we are at the park.
Cutest birthday cake!
We put the training wheels on this bike and Quinn and I went on all sorts of rides around town.
James' first time to Franklin Canyon and it didn't disappoint. It was so clear we could see the ocean from the top of the hike!
Annenberg Photo Exhibit was amazing!

















No comments:
Post a Comment