Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Writing on the wall


There are mothering moments I know someday I will be thrilled to put behind me. The deafening noise. The never-ending laundry hamper. The disagreements over what constitutes dinner deliciousness. The necessity to find a babysitter if I want to do anything. Ever. So many late afternoons see me praying out loud as I walk through the house. I ask for peace. I ask for patience. I ask for strength and clarity and grit. I ask that someday my babies will remember all the good times, and maybe forget the late afternoons all together because it just never shows me at my best.

But there are also some mothering moments I have a hunch I'll always cherish, and maybe even miss. A few weeks ago I was cleaning the house after another long day when I saw the smallest and most darling little person drawn in pencil on the wall, courtesy of my Quinny Cat. Don't get me wrong, I do not condone wall drawing and only a week before this discovery she had gotten in major trouble for scribbling all over the smooth wall leading to the backyard, but there was something about this little person that made me smile, that tugged on my heart strings. It was so teeny tiny, barely as big as my fingertip, and I wondered how long it had been hanging there before I found it. I could just see that little Sunshine Kitten, tongue out in concentration, trying to make her new little friend as small as possible so as not to mess up Mama's walls like she was instructed. Call me crazy but I just found the whole thing so adorable that I ended up leaving it there for weeks and seeing it in the hallway reminded me how much I love having little people in my life and in my home. They make life interesting, unpredictable and just so stinkin' cute.

Laundry and dinner are still on my naughty list, but believe it or not I may just miss the writing on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment