Friday, November 20, 2009

Pumpkin Therapy

Let me preface this post by saying I really love my son. Seriously. Talmage is definitely high on my list of favorite people in the world. When he's good, he's real good! He's really cute and has a lot of character. I love him a lot.

Now...on to my post.

I'm pretty sure I was nominated today for "The Worst Mother of the Year Award." Who nominated me, you may ask? My own Mr. Talmage. For some reason I can do no right in his book lately, and today he let the world know how awful I am. We went for a walk around Cambridge and he screamed, and I'm talking top-of-his-lunges-screamed. He was fed. He was changed. He had a binkie and toys. He had a blanket. I offered him a cookie. I gave him juice. I put on more layers of clothing. I took some off. I hugged him and reassured him. AND, he continued to scream. There were two responses from the many people we passed:
  1. A disgusted look in T's direction. I'm pretty sure they were thinking in their heads, "That is why I will never have children." (Say it in your best British accent!)
  2. A disgusted look in my direction, while I'm sure thinking in their heads, "Incompetent people like that should never have children. Can't she control him?"

We came home. It didn't help. It was tantrum after tantrum today.

SO...I made pumpkin cupcakes. Pumpkin is my new favorite food (we got a few free pumpkins from Jim's school and I made sure NONE of it went to waste). In the last few weeks we've enjoyed pumpkin garlic soup, curried pumpkin soup, pumpkin pancakes, ooey gooey pumpkin cake, chocolate chip iced pumpkin cookies and today, pumpkin cupcakes. It had been a hard day, and I decided that when Jim got home from school I wanted something positive to report...and let me tell you, those incredibly moist, pumpkiny, sweet cupcakes were just the positive thing I was looking for! I'll call it pumpkin therapy.

And as for that kid, I tried to be a nice Mom and give him a cupcake. I thought it would help us be friends. Not one smile. Not one laugh. He ate the whole thing, but obviously was not that impressed (or at least didn't want me to think otherwise).

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a face he's giving you!! If it weren't for the whole "a mother's unconditional love" thing, I'd say Talmage wasn't going to get any more pumpkin cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved every bit of that story. Over the years I have had several "therapies" that worked great! They were things like, "cookie therapy", "brownie therapy" or "running therapy" and so on! (you'll notice that a lot of my therapy programs had yummy sweets involved!) I'd like to say that this will be the one and only time that your sweet little one will "elect" you to this position, but we both no better! However, anyone who knows you - knows that the award you really deserve is the "let's make lemonade out of lemons" award! You are the best - and I know Talmage knows it even if he is keeping it a secret at this point in his life! My favorite however came at the end of the post when the pictures revealed a "little grumpy pumpkin cupcake eater!" I laughed out loud! He was really working it, wasn't he? Keep up the good work, you truly are amazing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh his faces are hilarious! It's like he's telling you - I'll eat it but I won't be happy - even though he knows it's super yummy! I've been experiencing some "Worst Mother of the Year" days as well, lately. Livy has been CRAZY mean to us and yesterday I told Matt that maybe we're just a two kid kind of family... he laughed but I was dead serious! Sometimes being a mommy is ridiculously hard and draining! But then they become angels again and you forget all about it. However, I'm still waiting for my angel to come back... Get excited for a toddler... haha!

    Also, I just realized I never told you how to set up your blog list like mine! I'm so sorry - it's been crazy here. Anywho, I have some bad news - it's a bit time consuming because you have to re-enter all of your blog addresses. But if you go to customize at the top of your blog (when you're signed in) then go to add a gadget on the right side of the page - then find the gadget called Blog List - from there you add your blogs and you can choose to see the last time they updated, the latest picture, etc. I hope that helps! Let me know if I'm way too confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, do I remember those moments! Unfortunately they still happen, even with my 8 year old. In fact I remember when he was 3 and I had just had Morgan, we were leaving a birthday party in which Sean didn't want to leave. To make a long story short, I left with him hoisted over my shoulder and my uncle carrying the baby out to the car. Then I had to practically sit on him so that I could buckle him into his car seat. Be thankful T is still a light weight. I resort to Ice Cream Therapy. And it doesn't matter what time of year it is. Loved the pictures! Hang in there... you're a fabulous mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mug shots at the end. What a stinker. As a mom that's just how some days go!
    Love ya Heath, wish you could walk around the corner with some of those delightful looking cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heath, you are an amazing mom. Really you are. By the time we were outside and he was screaming, well....he may still be outside!!! Your a great mom and I promise all of your had work will be rewarded. PS Jason wants a pumpkin cupcake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last picture is PRICELESS!!!! Cracks me up!! He looks so mad. How did you cook your pumpkins?? I have 4 35+ pound pumpkins and I don't know what to do with them. We never got around to carving them. And you should post some pumpkin recipes. :) Then I don't have to go find them and I know they are good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's so cute! Poor Heath!
    you can see how much he loves the cupcake but won't let poor mommy off the hook!
    You're a great mom. :)

    ReplyDelete