Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Venice of the North

My beyond-awesome brother-in-law Logan served his mission in Belgium. Like any good returned missionary, when he got home he ranted and raved about how amazing the country is, nice the people are, and tasty the food is. He was right. He was right. He was right.
After four days in France we crossed the border into Belgium to enjoy a small city called Brugges, nicknamed "The Venice of the North." The streets are cobblestone, the buildings are brick and adorable and there is a canal running through the middle of the city. If this is what Venice is like, then I would definitely love the place!
We LOVED the food:

Belgian chocolate.
It really is the best.


Belgian Fries.
Not to be mistaken with French fries. Logan says he warned me about this one, but I don't remember, and unfortunately I was almost cast out of line by a street vendor when I ordered a large French fry. Woops! What I want to know, is if the fry was invented in Belgium, why the heck do we call them French fries in the US?

Belgian Waffles.

Hot, dense and sugary, these babies live up to all of Logan's descriptions.

We LOVED the entertainment:

Brugges is known for its lace. I couldn't resist when I saw this Gramma on the street with a sign that says, "Don't bother me, I'm sewing."

There were so many churches to visit in the city with such incredible artwork inside. This sculpture of the Virgin Mary and young Jesus by Michaelangelo was remarkably touching. It was actually the only sculpture by Michaelangelo to leave Italy in his lifetime...and it went to Belgium!

Dear Logan,

Can you please tell us what the heck that is.
Thanks and Loves,
The Three Wiggy's
PS--Although it's disgusting, it was entertaining!
We LOVE our friends:
OK, so maybe this has less to do with our location, and more to do with our travel companions, but we really felt so blessed to be with these people. They were so adventurous, so fun, so energetic, so smart, so patient, and SO great with Talmage. It was like he had six parents for the whole trip. Here's to a future Maxi Cosi vaca when we're old and fat (remember, it's all or nothing) with our own bathrooms, dinners with tableclothes and lots and lots of little ones. We love you guys!
Talmage's BFF. All Rob had to do was walk in the room and Talmage was all smiles.


Not only was Katherine toting around her unborn child, but she also was carrying around my son for much of the trip. What a trooper! I didn't get a good picture of Verlan with the kid, but he definitely took his turn as well!


I wish I had a better picture of this moment! We were on a boat tour of Brugges when Talmage must have heard Sebastian singing because he laid a big, wet, open-mouth kiss on Christa's face.

Sha-la-la-la-la-la. Kiss da girl!

1 comment:

  1. I am so so so jealous. I would love to be road tripping with you three. Looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete