Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A few funs.

My mom raised us McKee kids right in the fun department. This is the woman who infamously said, "chips are fun!" and yes, she really believes right down to her toes that Fritos are fun: like smile, and clap your hands and be pleased as punch because boy, "chips are FUN!" She is really that enthusiastic and just in case you were wondering, it was the best thing ever being her kid. Because heavens people, if chips are fun...then what about candy bars? And picnics? And don't even get me started on sports or vacations. Our traditional hot fudge sundae dinners = fun! But the mundane turned to fun too, like blasting music while weeding in the garden. Or getting a 10 cent treat when we successfully completed a shopping trip. So I'm taking a few pointers (and by a few, I mean about a million) from my mom and making sure to show my kids the wonderful world of fun! Because the more I learn the more I see that knowing how to have fun (whatever the task, whatever the day) is an awesome skill to have.
 
Here's some of the fun we've been having lately:
 
 An FAO Schwarz story time full of friends.

 Sizing up a giant teddy in The Plaza hotel.

Climbing all over the dreamy library in the New York Historical Museum.  

 First soccer game!

 Trying on glasses at an East Side street fair.

 Seeing a green taxi--the highlight of our walk to the Chrysler Building!

 This is what we call hands-on learning during Sunday School. Playing dress up with 13-year-olds.
 

 You know, my Columbus Day dinosaurs!

Daddy vs. Sons wrestling in Central Park.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this post made me cry! I was thanking Heavenly Father last night for giving me 4 amazing kids exactly as they are! Spunky, spicy, adorable, challenging and fun! I love it all! Thank you for the shout out! You are an amazing woman!

    By the way, could Everett be any cuter with those glasses on? LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living next to your family was definitely two of the most fun years of my life. You are the type of friends you just want to share good news with because I just know how excited you will be. You are also my favorite people to share dessert with :-)

    I also have to agree with your mom about Ev in those glasses! I just lost it when I saw that picture. I need an Evie hug in the near future or I will burst.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could definitely take some pointers from you about being a fun mom! I need to know more about what's around in my community to take Ariana to, but it can be overwhelming. Teach me your ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so awesome. Seriously. Can I be like you when I grow up? I'm determined to take some pointers from you and be a super duper fun mom :)

    ReplyDelete