Friday, December 27, 2013

I'm raising Peanuts


James and I surprised the boys by taking them to see a live version of Charlie Brown's Christmas at the Brooklyn Lyceum theatre. Charlie Brown has been a frequent guest in our home since Thanksgiving, and boy are the kids ever grateful that Netflix is so generous with holiday Charlie Brown shows. We knew that this special Christmas date would be a family win, and holy Hannah were we ever right!

Talmage and Everett were pretty much a part of the show with their deep belly laughs and playful giggles. When we asked Talmage if he thought it was funny he said, "Not just funny. That was the most HILARIOUS thing I've ever seen!" And even as a grown up, I would have to agree that funny does not adequately describe the creative awesomeness that was this play. The actors were exact replicas of the Charlie Brown cartoon characters--they mimicked every voice inflection, every dance move, all the over-the-top arm movements and even the way they walked. There is no question that we'll be making this a family tradition. You know, until we move again ;) 

After the show Talmage b-lined it straight to Snoopy. The lighting is awful, but his smile is so huge I can hardly stand it. He was so excited to make silly doggy noises with her and tell her what a good job she did. And of course, he told her how "hilarious" she was--that seemed to be his word of the night!

Everett was not at all interested in Snoopy, or Charlie Brown for that matter. His favorite character: Linus! Anyone who knows my thumb-sucking, blankie boy should not be surprised, but I was definitely impressed that he drew that correlation on his own. Every time Linus would come on the stage Everett would say, "Wook. Is me. I Winus!" And then, after the play was over, Ev marched right up to Charlie Brown and said, "Where is Winus. I want see Winus."

When Linus and Charlie Brown stood next to Talmage and Everett for a picture, we all just fell apart with laughter. Turns out that Ever is to Linus, what Talmage is to Charlie Brown. It was about this time in the night where the real {actor} Charlie Brown looked at me and said, "If you are trying to raise cartoon characters, then you're just killing it!" Yes, how did he know. My goal in life is to raise a house full of Peanuts!

1 comment:

  1. The last picture is my favorite of all time!! Perfect character look a likes!

    ReplyDelete