Sunday, December 29, 2013

Our Christmas

I've done an awful good job feeling the holiday spirit this year, and sharing it with my boys as well. Last year was kind of a doozy as far as December was concerned so I feel like we all missed out, but this year, we celebrated Christmas hard core. It was fabulous and peaceful and so happy, and started the very day after Thanksgiving and lasted all month long. It also helps that I did most of my shopping before Thanksgiving because December was all about celebrating the Savior and Christmas in the city, and none about stressing over presents. It was great! Christmas Eve and Christmas day were just as special as can be--having little kids in the house makes things pretty magical, and boy does NYC have a lot to offer in the Christmas department.
 
But because I don't pull any punches on this blog I'll tell you that come the night of Christmas, after our company had left and the boys were in bed I felt pretty melancholy for our family in Cali and all the fun and togetherness that they were experiencing without us. But like I've said to Talmage a million times--it's ok to be sad. It would be even sadder if we weren't sad that we weren't with our family, right? Right. We're sad because we love them, and that love is what Christmas is all about, so it's actually a beautiful feeling--or at least that's what I told myself! I also told myself that there will come a day when we'll afford tickets for all four of us to fly home for Christmas, which will be awesome :)
 
Christmas Eve was wonderful. We had brunch with some good friends of ours and the kids warmed my heart to the very core with a Christmas production (full of princesses, Jedi, monsters and the cutest little Ever KNIGHT there was). Everett was super bossy and wanted to direct the whole thing, much to Jackson's chagrin, and it reminded me of my family parties as a child--although no one ever tried to steal my director's chair (which I'm sure has nothing to do with the dirty looks and threats my cousins swear I gave them!)   
 
Everett taking a bow at the end of the play. Talmage was still hiding under the table at this point, in full character!

That afternoon we went to a gorgeous Episcopalian church on the Upper East Side to see a children's live nativity. The kids were adorable and there were live animals--the lambs nearly set my boys over the edge with laughter with their "baa-ing." It was a great way to remember what Christmas Eve is all about.

We walked home through Central Park just as the sun was setting and sang carols at the top of our lungs. The Empire State Building was lit up like a candy cane and everything felt so perfect, and beautiful, and right. We took the long way home, zigzagging across bridges, and around the lake until we finally hit Central Park West.
 
When we got home T and Ever got to open up their Superhero Christmas pajamas from Mema and Pepa, and also they got to open up the presents they bought for each other. Talmage got a 3 train from Ever (T is obsessed with the 3 because it's the fastest!), and Ever got an E train for T (T thought it was a good idea since his name starts with E). They adored the gifts and were truly so grateful.

I was giving T a kiss because I was so thankful that he was being so thankful, and then Ever decided to join in on the action. I sure do love those boys.

After the boys were in bed James and I ordered Chinese take-out and loved every second of not having to cook or clean anything. Such a great Christmas gift to myself!

Since we don't have a fireplace, we had Netflix help us out and create one. Have you tried it out? It crackles and everything! This picture was taken after Santa Clause came and delivered stocking presents...and the Jack-in-the-box that Talmage requested!

Letter from Santa!

Things were pretty magical in our tiny apartment, that's for sure. I could hardly sleep on Christmas Eve (and James straight-up couldn't sleep) because we were so excited to see what Santa had brought the boys--and see their reactions! The rule was that they couldn't get out of bed until there was light outside, and you better believe that at 6:30 am when there was just the tiniest speckle of light through the windows I started to hear them stir. They were excited, and who could blame them--it was Christmas!

I didn't really take any pictures of the rest of the day because it was Christmas, and we had the most enjoyable time ever just relaxing together as a family. We opened presents and ate cinnamon rolls and read books and played games and painted, and I almost wasn't ready when our friends and the missionaries showed up for Christmas dinner (we had a fiesta, PS) because it was so nice to do nothing all together. But suffice it to say, the boys were spoiled with love and presents and when Uncle Jordan asked Talmage if he had had a good Christmas he said, "No, I have not had a good Christmas. I have had the BEST Christmas ever. In the world!" He couldn't have been more excited or grateful all day long, and I was feeling like the luckiest mom in the world.

Hello new electrifying pink scarf--you're fun! I like you!

A few weeks ago T decided he wanted to make something really special for me for Christmas--but it had to be a surprise. He told me what to get him (crayons, red paper, scissors, etc.) and I was to give those things to him, no questions asked! Then he wrapped it up for me and put it under the tree. It was absolutely adorable and I love it so much! He colored a picture and then wrote all sorts of letters on the top. On the bottom, he wrote "find the letters" just like the games in some of his workbooks. so sweet and he was so excited!  

Ever was happy with everything he got, but I think his favorite part of the day was eating endless--and I mean endless--amounts of sugar. That boy has a sweet tooth that is unreal and he ate so much junk...and loved it! He even finished Santa's cookies in the morning. He also loved his scooter and new dinosaur helmet (to match his bro's shark helmet!) I loved watching him ride up and down the street in his pj's, chocolate spread all over his face and a smile that kept me warm inside! I just love that baby boy.
 
It was a very merry Christmas around here indeed...so, it's time for Spring again, right? ;) 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post for a variety of reasons, but especially for your 'it's o.k. to be sad' comment. I smiled when I read that because I say the EXACT same thing, and now Noah says it all the time when he's upset.

    ReplyDelete