Tuesday, March 10, 2015

T's 6th "This is not a birthday party" Party

Talmage somehow talked me into throwing him a birthday party. No, a "get together with friends." His words, I kid you not. You see, our kids have the option of having a party or an experience for their birthday and this year (just like last year) T has chosen an experience, namely Aladdin on Broadway. But then one particularly cold, grey, NY-ugly-winter-day he said, "Hey Mom...Since I'm turning six how about I have six friends over for a little pizza get together. You know, not a party, just a get together with friends for my birthday." I knew I was getting hosed as soon as he opened his mouth, but you better believe I fell for it in point two seconds. Embarrassingly fast, really. Mostly I think I needed a project to get my mind off of how small our apartment is in February and this seemed like the perfect creative outlet. So...a lego get together it was!

We really did keep it super low-key, but the boys all loved it just the same.  We had pizza and juice boxes (covered in paper to look like lego bricks). Strawberries and blueberries and T's requested cookies and cream cake. As far as activities are concerned, I bought everyone a little lego set (on sale on Amazon!) that doubled as a party activity and party favor. The kids were so excited to take those home--as well as a yellow balloon with a lego man face drawn on it! We also guessed how many legos were in a jar, drew our own lego figurines, played lego-spoon races and had a dance party to "Everything is Awesome"! 

Our birthday boy in his new 6 shirt was so excited about every little detail and so grateful. He has such a fabulous group of friends and they all had a blast running circles around our tiny space. He and we feel so blessed with our people!

Here are some pictures of some little party details:








Birthdays are just so magical, aren't they? It's so fun to have a day spent celebrating one special person so they know how loved they are. And my Mr. T, boy is he loved! I guess it's worth noting that 5-year-old little boys don't sing "Happy Birthday to you!" instead they sing things like "Happy Slurp Day, Burp Burp!" or "Happy Fart Day, Toot Toot!" I'm usually the "bathroom word" Nazi but I decided to let it go and let the boys laugh hysterically over their silly sayings, and let me tell you all 8 of them were in tears!  

Happy Birthday my oldest little love.  He told me this morning, "Mom, it's so weird that today is my very last day ever being 5!" So weird baby boy. Tomorrow you'll be six for real!!!

3 comments:

  1. Call me crazy but this post made me cry! Our little Talmage is growing up too fast and WAY too excited about it :) We love you so much Talmage Scott...more than you will ever know!!

    ReplyDelete