Sunday, May 10, 2015

I'm 30 {and always wordy}. Some birthday thoughts.

Ten years ago I was living in NYC, working at my dream internship in Public Relations, and turning 20. Twenty? I thought. I'm getting so old! But I was wise as well. I wrote in my journal on May 7, 2005 "Even though today's my birthday and I've officially said goodbye to my teenage years I will never let myself grow old. I'm going to play until the day I die!" This, I'm quite sure, was referencing the George Bernard Shaw quote I had written on the top of the page, "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." I celebrated in Times Square with a pastrami sandwich and strawberry cheesecake and reflected on what I had accomplished in my teens and dreamed about what my future held. There was so many unknowns at the time, so much excitement looming in my future, and looking back on it now it makes me giddy for that little girl turning 20 beneath the sparkling cityscape.  

Ten years later I find myself once again celebrating a milestone birthday in the big city. I'm 30. THIRTY!!! In many ways I feel so young--being a mother to three in a city where most of my contemporaries have yet to start their family will do that to you. I may even feel younger today then when I turned 20, because there are so many things I have figured out that my 20-year-old self just did not know. Yes, that young girl was in for a treat because her next ten years (and my last ten--is this getting confusing?!) were full to the brim with adventure that would teach my (us?) so much. In the last ten years I have graduated from BYU, served a mission in Taiwan, married James and had three delightful children in three different states, moved eight times (including NYC twice as a married mama and a stint overseas) and made the decision to be a stay-at-home adventurer with my chickens. I've supported James through three different degrees (at four universities) and have learned to live on the leanest of budgets, give to others first and be the constant in my children's lives. I look back on my 20's and I'm proud, darn proud, of all the love, excitement, work and play I fit it. I'm also proud that I took hard moments and let them teach me instead of ruin me. I made the most of my 20's, of that I am certain.

And now I'm in my thirties. Yes, I am thirty. Ten years from now I probably won't be celebrating in NYC (probably, but I guess you never know, right?) but I hope that when I look back on my 30's I'm just as proud as I feel looking back on my 20's right now. I hope that I get a smile on my face when I read my journal entry from May 7, 2015 and feel giddy for all I'm yet to accomplish. These next ten years are going to be something special, I'll see to it! 

The day started off with the kids sleeping in (thank you jet lag) and James making me crepes with Nutella and fruit. He's perfected his crepe recipe and I always love it when he whips them up for us!

After breakfast I took Quinny and Ever Knight to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden to see the cherry blossoms. They were in peak bloom and I thought my 30th birthday was the perfect excuse to make the trek out there. It was absolutely breathtaking, as you can see from the millions of pictures I took:





 Quinny on a blanket in front of these cherry blossom trees was almost more than my mother birthday heart could handle. I'm so grateful for that little girl and love her so. 

 In fact, I love her so much that I'm going to post two pictures that look almost identical because I love them both so much!



Ev was feeling a little feisty after traveling so was really in no mood for pictures, but I did get a couple when I begged him to give it to me for my birthday. Hey, I'm not below bribery for smiles!

On our way home from the BBG we stopped by James' neck of the woods to have lunch with him. He took us to Nish Nush, his favorite falafel place, and holy hannah it was delicious. I can't wait to go back!

My gorgeous flourless chocolate cake, and a cute pink cupcake my neighbor brought over.

James (and his Mom) gave me tickets to Les Mis for my birthday and it was the absolute greatest way to spend my birthday. It was so moving and the singers were phenomenal. I am so, so grateful that we could go see it. So much fun!

Happy 30th to me! And many, many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment