Monday, July 11, 2016

A quiet moment

The house is quiet, well mostly quiet.

The sound of the dryer roars from the hallway, the sound of Santa Monica traffic and horns blare through the windows, and the creaks of Cora's swing remind me that the silence is short-lived (Coco and the swing have a definite she loves me/she loves me not relationship). But the only voices heard in my home right now are the ones dancing in my head. The house is quiet from little feet, little requests, little questions and little fights. The house is quiet of little people, and that is rare and rather spooky.

It's nap time for the girls and wowzers did they both need it. If you'd have been a fly on the wall just 30 minutes ago quiet is not a word you would have used to describe our abode. Quinn is missing her Daddy something fierce since he made his way back to work (cry, scream, tantrum, repeat) and poor Coco, her patience is running thin over her gassy tummy. To give up dairy or not to give up dairy? That is my dreadful question. Those girls keep my days so busy and yet keep my days so grounded. In the last week I can count on one hand the number of times I left the house, shoot I can count on one hand the number of times I left my pajamas. Having two babies so close in age but with such different needs is new for me, and rather exhausting. The pace around here is different this July and my to-do list infinitely shorter. Someday I know we'll get back on the real-life saddle. At least I think we will. Gulp, I hope?

My little boys have spent the last week in Sacramento at Me-Pa Camp (I just came up with that--good, no?!) and have had the time of their lives. Seriously, my parents are giving them the summer that I can't this year and no amount of words can possibly portray my gratitude. They've seen movies, gone to water parks, visited the State Fair, had lake days and park days and army-men days and geez, I think I must have gotten my adventurous genes from those parents of mine because they sure know how to plan a ridiculously awesome vacation. I fear that those little boy voices that I've missed so much may never want to come home with all the fun they're having, but like it or not they'll be back here tomorrow filling my walls with noise and craziness. I can't wait. (And I have a freezer full of ice cream, I'm not below bribing them to love me!!!)

But for now, this very moment, I'm soaking up the silence that just like my littles' childhood will be gone all to soon. The swing has lost it's magic and with a snap of a finger Cora is up and ready to nurse. But my minds eye can see that it'll be just another snap of a finger before she's off to college, a mission, a marriage, a life. And oh the silence that will be in my walls then. I'll enjoy the quiet for a minute longer, but I'll make sure to soak up all these crazy moments too.



 Tummy time is terribly tiring.




You think you know what boredom is? Try having a mom that nurses every two hours on the dot for like, 30 minutes each time. Box on head is a fun game, right? 

When you're burping a baby on the other side of the house and you know that your 1 year old is breaking crayons into tiny little pieces just for fun you let her do it anyway because she's smiling, quiet, and not throwing a fit! #momfail or #momwin 


1 comment:

  1. Such a special post! You are such a beautiful writer and such a great example to these girls! They are lucky to have you as their mommy!

    ReplyDelete