Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A very merry unbirthday to me!

The timing of my birthday this year was rather unfortunate and tears replaced cheers on my big day. I'm OK with that, I really am. The thought of the people I love most being sad on my birthday is devastating to me, but then again the image in my head of mourning with my dearest people on my birthday is a great example of what life on earth is all about--to love, and to be loved. It was uncomfortable, it was heart-breaking, but then again it was also beautiful and moving and I'm grateful for this birthday's unexpected gift in allowing me to learn more about how to love like the Savior.

The week after my birthday and the day the kids and I returned from our camping adventure I found this festive little cake frosted on the counter. No matter that James had been up all night working, he sacrificed the little sleep he was offered to instead make me a birthday cake. I was so tired (as you can see written all over my face) but that rainbow chip frosting brought out my pearly whites and left me feeling so grateful for the little and big things James does to make our life more comfortable and my special days more fun.

Everyone knows that a birthday is not a birthday until a piece of cake has been consumed so with a bite or two (or twelve) of that yummy cake we officially concluded my 31st year and welcomed 32--woot, woot! A very merry unbirthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment