Monday, May 8, 2017

Songs for My Little Ones

I find myself melancholy this morning for so many reasons. This last weekend was such an intense mixture of emotions that I'm going to have to peel them back like an onion, examining and feeling one layer after another, until I find myself at peace once more. For now I'm keeping kleenex in business and allowing myself the space and time to mourn.

Over the course of 30 hours on Saturday and Sunday we drove to Sacramento, witnessed the passing of our dear Great Papa, thanked my Dad for his service in the Stake Presidency with his release and then encouraged James' Dad for his service in the Stake Presidency with his new call, met President Nelson and heard him speak and then drove back to Los Angeles. All on two hours of sleep (in a 40 hour period). Oh yeah, and it was my birthday.

The only word I can use to describe this weekend adequately is INTENSE. At some point I will probably revisit the details and my feelings on here, but today through my sting I've reminded myself that the tender feelings I have for those closest to me are such a gift and having them recorded for posterity will keep them timeless. With that in mind, I'm sitting here replacing worries with words and finishing this blog post I started long ago.

In our family, we have a lovey song for each child. This was not intentional when we started having children, but when Ever was little and we started replacing his name in the song we sang for Talmage I felt defensive of T and didn't want them to share a special song (postpartum hormones, maybe?!) Not long after, we started singing a song with Evie's name and all of a sudden, he too had a song! Now we have four little chickens and they all have their own little tune. They've all come randomly and organically and they're all to tunes of other songs we know (unfortunately we're not composers here!) but they are special to us and special to them and I don't want to ever forget the silly little songs that were their childhood.


Tal-mage Scott, oh Tal-mage Scott. We love you a lot a lot. Talmage boy, oh Talmage boy. You are Mom and Daddy's joy.

Evie, Evie, listen while we sing to you. Evie, Evie, you're a part of our life too. Anyone can cry a lot, anyone can scream, but it takes an Evie to make our life supreme. Oh Evie, Evie Knight, listen while we sing to you.


Quinny Chestnut knows I love you, Quinny knows, Quinny knows. Quinny Chestnut knows I love you that's what Quinny knows.

Hello Coco! Hello Coco! Hello Coco, we're glad you're in our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment