Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Field Tripping

That whole one-field-trip-a-year policy bit me in the buns this go-around and I ended up on back-to-back Friday outings with my boys. The first Friday Ever and I went to reDiscover Center which is basically a place where kids can make junk out of junk and learn the reduce, reuse, recycle jingle as they go. The next week T and I went to Tree People where we hiked in a gorgeous canyon and learned all about saving water, planting trees and being a good member of the human family. That was supposed to be the finale of my field tripping but the next week Ever's teacher needed help on a trip to the Natural History Museum's Butterfly Pavilion and rule, or no rule, I couldn't (nor did I want to) tell her no. If these field trips sound a little crunchy granola then welcome to LA and welcome to Westwood Charter! Kidding aside, I think it's great that my boys are learning to love Mother Earth and I hope they always treat her with the respect she deserves. It was so fun to field trip by their side.

reDiscover Center:

These cute boys made a cave with rocks and sticks inside and big fruit trees surrounding it and water running alongside it. Their prompt: create something you'd find in nature. Nailed it!

Seconds before this shot the two on either side of Evie were linked, arm in arm. It was darling!



Kinder-kids are the best when you pull out a camera!

Tree People:
It was bright and windy and cold and then warm--the weather (and this little munchkin) just couldn't sit still through the whole field trip!




Their tour guide instructed them to be "California Cool" if they saw any wild animals, and this was these awesome 2nd graders interpretation of that phrase. They look pretty darn cool to me!


Planting a tree that supposedly will grow big enough to plant in our yard someday. We're just hoping to keep it alive through the week.

Butterfly Pavilion:
These two never left each other's side! And I quote, "I'm gwad you're coming Mom, but I'm actuawy sitting with Chase on the bus. So maybe you can sit with another Mom, how about Melissa?!" Thanks buddy, and hooray for Melissa and I on another field trip together!




I couldn't help but take pic after pic of these beautiful butterflies. What a wonderful world we've been given!

 This nice docent was trying to calm these boys' anxieties about a butterfly that was stuck in a spiders web. It worked, thank goodness!

And that concludes another successful year of field tripping. Thanks boys for being the best, I love to adventure with both of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment