Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Mommy-Quinny Disney Date

The idea of taking Quinny on a Mommy-Daughter birthday date to Disneyland has been a fantasy of mine since, well, New Years maybe? I realized that she would be turning three and would all of a sudden need her very own ticket to enter the park and the frugalista in me thought, hey, I should take her to Disneyland a week before her actual birthday so we can celebrate for half the cost as we would the week after her actual birthday. She's basically three and old enough to remember this special day with her Mama, but still two and therefore freeeeeeeeeeee! Best of both worlds. We basically did the same thing last year when we flew to Washington a week before her second birthday so that we could call her a lap infant and not have to pay for an extra seat. We're cheap, that's what I'm getting at. But we also like to have fun, and fun we have!

I'll go on record as saying this was the absolute greatest day I have EVER spent with Quinn. I keep reliving it in my head and even after all those mental loopty-loops I still can't think of a single thing that could have been better. Quinn was hilarious, grateful, excited, entertained, energetic, verbal and never, never, never once even slightly grumpy or stubborn or naughty. She held my hand, she squealed with delight, she was up for every adventure and truly joyous to be with. Magic sparkled in her eyes and everyone must have noticed because "Ariel's guy" blew her a kiss during the parade, she got cheers as she blew her bubble wand down Main Street and Pluto grabbed her hand and took her on a playful stroll through ToonTown. 

Because it was just Quinny and Mommy we could do absolutely anything and everything she wanted to do. Instead of going with a detailed plan of what to cover and when, I let her lead me around the park and if she was interested in something we explored it. When we left the parking lot and hopped on the shuttle which brings you to the front gate she squealed, "Oh! Dis is my first ride. I'm so excited!" Yes, the shuttle was riveting to her so you can only imagine how much she adored the carousel, and Dumbo, the teacups and It's a Small World. She tried the "ride-a-coaster" in ToonTown but afterwards said, "Dat was too scary for me. I think dat was too old for me." She loved Autopia but wanted me to drive because "I'm not too older for driving yet, but I am a girl and girls can drive!" Buzz Lightyear was a fan favorite, as was the pizza and juice she got up the way. She adored the Tiki Room and wasn't so sure about Pirates. She had been most excited to see the real princesses, but actually meeting them was way scarier than she imagined. When Ariel asked her if they could take a picture together Quinny retorted, "No! And don't hug me!" Those pictures are some of my favorite from the whole day because they are HILARIOUS!!! Later she told me she didn't like the princesses "because dey were real peoples but I don't like real peoples I just like Minnie peoples." And that's NO JOKE! Quinn was obsessed with ToonTown and with meeting Mickey and Minnie and Pluto and Goofy. We spent HOURS in that little corner of the park and Quinn would patiently wait for 30 to 40 minutes to see her friends and take a picture with them. I was shocked thinking surely she would get bored and not want to stand in line but she never complained once and was SO excited at the thought of meeting them. I just love this little adventurer. We missed Daisy and Donald and Quinn was very worried about where they were, but we saw so much and did so much that we really have NO reason to complain. Boy, what a day with my first little girl!

Sometimes motherhood is so stressful, so redundant, so exhausting that I feel heavy in the day-to-day. I need playful days like this to remind me how lucky I am to have this as a job, and I need one-on-one time like this to remind me how much I adore these little babies I've been blessed with. I've committed myself to monthly dates from here on out, and I hope they are as successful as this first one was--those are big shoes to fill! 

Happy birthday sweet Quinn-a-lynn. I love you so much and I'm so grateful for all the excitement and joy you've brought our family in the last (almost) three years. I honestly CANNOT imagine life without you and I'm excited to spend the whole weekend celebrating how awesome you are.

On the shuttle--our very first ride! ;)

My dream come true!!!

This picture...hahahahaha! She was SO excited to meet Ariel, but she lived to regret it!

She did like Jasmine, at least more than the others. She told her, "I have my Mom do my hair like your hair!"


She would take a picture with Snow White, but every time the princess inched closer she scooted closer to the wall! Hahaha.


Quinny's very first ride (after the shuttle) was the carousel and I don't know that she could have loved that horsey more.

She's definitely my daughter because she likes to spin around at lightning speed in the teacups.

You see how she's holding my hand? Oh my goodness it was precious. And when we left the park that day she said, "This was the best date with Mommy. I love you Mama!" I'm just saying, those are not usually the words that come out of her mouth towards me so I was in heaven!

This is about the time Quinny's life was made!


Helping Pluto play hide-and-seek.

Waiting in line to see Minnie. You see that birthday badge on her shorts? She was SO proud of that thing and I love how everyone wished her happy birthday all day long.

Quinny loves Minnie and Minnie loves Quinny.




Goofy was noticing Quinny's ears...

...and then showing her that he had some as well!

That smile could not have been more real! She loved seeing Goofy.

A Mickey pretzel with cheese, the castle in the background and a front-row seat to the Soundsational Parade.


At this point she realized that the "real persons" princesses weren't going to bite, but she still looked at me like "What did you just get me into?!"


A big smile with Moana.

This was the last picture we took before my phone died. Darn it! But I'm grateful that the last one was of the two of us together and that great big sucker in Quinny's cute hands. Oh gosh I love her and I'm so grateful for this alone time with her. We both needed it!

***A GIANT thank you to my parents for watching the other kids and to James for encouraging me to take this time with Quinny while he worked hard to support it!***

No comments:

Post a Comment