Thursday, September 21, 2017

While the boys are away, the girls will play


Quinn was supposed to go to preschool this year. That is to say, I was totally planning on sending Quinny to preschool this year...until I wasn't. 

My wild and mature-beyond-her-two-years little sassafras misses the cut-off by a month to attend preschool with all of her three-year-old besties and both of us were super bummed to be separated from our normal crew. To be honest, I was mostly super bummed not to send her with all of her friends because I thought maybe a little bit of Mommy/Quinny space would do us good and I was practically salivating over the potential silence. I started looking into two's programs all around the city as a next-best-scenario and as much as I wanted them to work I just didn't feel good or calm or happy with any of the options. Some were too expensive, others too daycare-ish, and some were practically perfect but you know what? none of them felt right. I couldn't shake the feeling that sending her to a third year of preschool exclusively for my quiet time (without feeling great about the actual school) was not the right answer and kept praying and thinking and discussing and hoping that the answer to Quinny's preschool conundrum would be made clear. 

Then about a month before school was set to start I had a strong feeling that I needed to keep my girls close this year. In almost an instant my thought process went from "I need some space!" to "I need to cherish this time!" I guess my mind finally caught on to the reality that this year will be the last one EVER spent with all three of us girls playing and adventuring our days away. Next year Quinny will definitely start preschool and like clockwork Cora will start the year after that and wow, this parenting thing sure goes by fast, doesn't it? This year will be my attempt at slowing down the clock and really savoring these little girls and our time together. Adventuring with kids these ages was a dream with the boys and I hope to have just as much fun with my little ladies.

So here's to a little bit of "Mommy School" and a whole lot of fun this year! May everyday be as carefree and beautiful as the one pictured above when my pig-tailed blondie and chicken-fuzz brunette spent hours splashing about in our brand new pool. I just love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment