Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Staycation with Dad-Man

Random is when you ask for the week of Thanksgiving or Christmas off of work and get denied for both, but instead are offered the first week of October. The first week of October? Yes, the first week of October.

So...what does one do with the first week of October off of work? Well let me put it this way...what doesn't one do with the first week of October off of work?! What at first seemed random and not exactly what we would have planned for this years leave turned into one of the greatest weeks to be a Wig in recent memory. We're honestly considering making this first week of October thing a tradition, or at the very least having a staycation each year.

Aside from some mini adventures we were able to take, the greatest things about this week were the simplest. For the first time EVER (we're talking about five years here) James was able to pick up the boys from school. He loved it and they loved it. After putting the kids to bed at night he would pop popcorn and we'd sit together and watch a movie. That might sound normal to other people but I literally never see my husband during the week so that was the biggest treat (and made me tear up). We walked to Westwood and had lunch together, he did a bunch of projects around the house, I had someone there to help with after-school and dinner mayhem and he was able to get an inside look at what my normal life is like. I don't know guys, it was just the greatest week and I'm only TOTALLY depressed that it's over. Oh to be independently wealthy and get to hang like this all the time...

Anyway, here's a little photo-log of our week. We had so much fun!

My angel sister-in-law came over on Monday so that James and I could have a day-date. We used our rusty Universal passes from T's birthday and had the best time hanging out together for a few hours. The best part was after riding a few rides we decided to ditch the park in favor of shackburgers and the mall and since it was just us, we totally could!

Something you probably would never guess about James is that he thinks The Simpsons is maybe the funniest show that ever existed. I'm not kidding, you should have seen how hard he was laughing as we walked through the line and watched clips. One of the most rebellious things he ever did as a teenager was watch The Simpsons after school when he was home alone (ooohhhh, so naughty!!!) Oh how I hope that's the most rebellious thing our kids do as well!


There isn't a true Simpson lover who would pass over an opportunity to eat a Lard Lad donut. And in my case, I've never met a donut I didn't adore, Simpsons or not. We also got one of these when we were here in March and I'm not kidding friends, this is one of the yummiest donuts I've ever had. If you're ever at Universal, you won't be disappointed.

James and Quinn played dress-up and also went on a date to the hardware store. Every time I walked in on them playing she growled and asked me to leave (not nicely, may I add) so I think that means they were having a really good time! That girl loves her Daddy!

Behind those silly faces are six brand-spankin' new 72 hour kits for our family that we put together with the boys for FHE. There have been so many natural disasters lately and we even experienced a sizable earthquake here in Westwood not long ago so I've spent the last few weeks ordering every item under the sun and getting them in order just in case something happens around here. They aren't perfect yet but they're getting there and I can't tell you how much peace this has brought me.

James was back at Universal two days in row, this time with an adventure-seeking T by his side. They rode all the scary rides and closed down the park.

Not one for rides or scariness, Ev opted to stay with Mom during the day and joined Daddy at night for some one-on-one ice cream sundaes. He more than anyone has been longing for some special time with his Dad so I'm glad they got their moment.


Shared a salad at Feast from the East for our Wednesday lunch but duh, we both got our own froyo from Penguins. Our neighbor Anne graciously asked if she would watch our girls so that we could run away on a little lovers lunch adventure and who were we to say no?! I was really touched by everyone who offered to help us this week so that we could make the most of our time together.

On Thursday we pretended like we were going to drive the boys to school instead of walk them but instead jumped on the freeway and drove to the San Diego Safari Park. The traffic was bad which gave the kids lots of times to ask for clues and play 20 questions in order to figure out where we were taking them. They finally guessed it and they were so excited. We had a great day there as a family, made even better because October is free kids month so we got six in for the price of two!

My phone was on the fritz while at the park so although we went on an african safari, saw a cheetah do two incredibly fast runs and visited animals that we had never seen before I basically only have pictures of my kids on the carousel. Oh well, it was an exceptionally fun merry-go-round and the unlimited ride passes didn't hurt either!




Was there any doubt that Quinner would ride on a cheetah? Didn't think so! The boys kept hopping from animal to animal but Quinn just stayed seated on her cheetah-friend.


Six spoons and two extra large treats to share--a blue raspberry icee and a chocolate/vanilla swirl soft serve. Both adored and demolished by all. We love you Daddy and are glad to have spent a full week by your side. Staycation for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment