Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Mother's Day Hat

Sometimes I feel like slime, stretched so thin between my children's dirty, dimpled fingers that I become translucent and nearly torn in two. It's a game they play--let's see how far we can push the scientific limit of this fun and colorful goo before it falls lifelessly from our grasp. But at the very last second, before all is lost, they catch that slime in their hands and roll it back into a strong and perfect ball. And then they do it again. Oh, I am that slime. I've lost myself, I've found myself, I'm being stretched, I'm feeling whole, I'm theirs, I'm mine, who am I kidding? I'm theirs. I have so much respect for my body, my mind and my heart during the thinnest of times and I am eternally grateful for the moments that I feel resilient and powerful. Mothering during this season is different and more difficult than I imagined it would be, what with hormones and homework and attitudes and opinions, but I really do love this quirky bunch and I'm nothing if not dedicated to them and our life. A for effort, that's my current mothering mantra! Happy Mother's Day to me, and to all other women the world over who are doing their best for the ones they love.   

Quinn was ridiculously proud of the hat she made me at preschool and kept asking if I was going to wear it to church on Sunday. Umm...of course I was, did she even need to ask? I feel like a huge mothering milestone was met when I was gifted that hat and I was so excited to show it off!

She may have been a little more embarrassed when we actually got to the chapel but that little grin on her face is my favorite. So much love for Quinny Cat and her siblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment