Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Milk-Free Mother's Day

Today is Mothering Sunday in the UK. Since we're still American, I told the Daddy and the kid I bore that they were totally welcome to spoil me on Mothering Sunday, AND on American Mother's Day. I don't mind if I do!

It was a good day. I spoke in church. We ate leftover cake from T's party. We went on a walk to see baby Margaret (our new SUPER cute two-day-old friend who shares a birthday with T) and saw a gorgeous rainbow. I got to hang out with my two best men all day long and loved every second of it!

Now, let's talk milk.

T and I had started weaning each other from nursing the past little bit. We went from a million times a day, to about three times a day for the last month, and then just one morning feed this last week. I'll be honest, I was the one holding on. I love nursing time--it's the only time my crazy little boy will lay in my arms. It's such a sweet, special time.

SO, on Talmage's birthday he woke up and we started the festivities. Pancakes, parties, walks, hats, cupcakes, etc. It wasn't until later that day that I realized I hadn't nursed him, and more importantly, he didn't mind. He had a sippy cup of milk and didn't seem to notice that we didn't have our normal nursing time. I realized at that moment that my nursing days were over. One full year (to the day) of nursing, and now my milk is gone and we are a sippy cup family. It has been more bittersweet than I expected (for me!), but I'm so excited for the new steps our little man is making in becoming a big boy! It was a milk-free Mother's Day for me!

I think Jim is actually enjoying feeding Talmage his cup of milk at night. What cute boys!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet, what a little tender heart you have! I love you!

    ReplyDelete