Thursday, January 30, 2014

Can you see it?

It's 5:20 pm, and the natural dusky light is still peeking through our windows, just barely about to welcome night into our home. The lights are still turned off. And we can still see. And it's 5:20 pm, well...now it's 5:23.

It's been a long winter already, and it's by no means over. But after months of darkness blanketing our home a little after four, I am looking out of my window while cooking dinner and I can see trees, and smokestacks and grey skies glimmering with sunshine's hot pink wave goodbye, and hope, I'm pretty sure when I look out at all those other beautiful things {especially when I'm seeing them after 5 pm} I see hope.

Because we're going to make it through this winter. And we're going to make it through life. And it's 5:29, and dinner's in the oven and I'm just now turning on a light and life is just really looking better everyday. Don't you think?

Just feeling pretty grateful. That's all.

1 comment:

  1. I just wrote a long comment and then accidentally signed out before posting it. Ugh. Here goes round #2...

    Story time:
    Back in college you read me a newspaper article about a chicken coop or something mundane like that, but the author captivated her audience in a way that drew you in and made you think you just read an exciting story. You told me you wanted to write like that someday, Well, you just wrote solely about a dusky, wintry night and drew me in and made it seem exciting to read about. I think you reached your goal. I always love your writing though because you say exactly what I'm always thinking but can't express myself. Love it. And I have had the same thoughts about the later sunsets these days and am excited for spring even though it's still far far away.

    ReplyDelete