Monday, January 6, 2014

The Three Wigs Meet The Three Kings

Our radiator has sounded like a construction site for months, what with the hammering and puffing and banging when the darn thing turns on. Today was the blessed day for it to be fixed and I was supposed to have my children out of the house for the ordeal, mostly because said radiator just happened to be in their bedroom (waking them up bright and early every morning might I add). But people, it was pouring. Not snow, rain. Weird since yesterday was like 30 degrees and tomorrow's supposed to be like 10 degrees, but today it was 50...and raining hard. Ugh. So as the men worked patiently, Talmage and Everett sat on the bunk bed telling them stories and asking them questions about every tool they used and Polish word they said. Neither party understood the other very well, but gosh, those men were like superstars in those little people's eyes. Case in point, Everett told me he wants to be a construction worker when he grows up and Talmage said, "Did you even know that Teddy can fix everything around here?"
 
I had consigned myself to a day indoors bugging our kind workers and eating endless scoops of the world's best cookie dough until our Super came in a few minutes later with bad news--the main water pipe had busted while thawing out this morning and in order to fix it, the water in our building was to be turned off for the rest of the day. So, between the no water thing and the sincere sympathy I had for the radiator-friends I said, as you'll learn I often do, "Boys! We're going on a scooter ride!" The rain had let up and I knew it was now or never baby. So now it was.
 
They got their helmets on and left the winter coats at home (because, 50 degrees) and we scooted to our 72nd street subway station where I carried one stroller, two scooters, a purse, and Ever Knight down two flights of stairs so that we could take the 2 train to Spanish Harlem. We were off to see the 3 Kings Parade, which was my original plan for the day before the rain, and became my back-up plan after the flood. The whole thing made me feel awful heroic, braving the rainy elements to accomplish the grand adventure that I've planned for weeks to do (let's just forget the part about no flushing toilets being the real reason I left home and let me feel amazing, alright?)
 
We showed up just as the camels and Wiseman were turning the last corner and I couldn't have timed it better myself. We walked along the parade route, Everett begging me to carry him for a better peak and Talmage mimicking all the silly sounds those camels made. Just then, one of the wise men came right at us, and bending over to look in my boys' twinkling eyes told each of them "Felicidades" before continuing on the parade route. It was about right then as I was explaining to T and Ever what felicidades means that I realized, once again, that life is pretty darn awesome.
 
Just in case you're wondering, this was one of the three camels that we stalked...seriously we followed them right to their horse trailer! I think I need to add "ride a camel" to my list of things I want to do someday.

Also, because I was in a stalkerish mood, we waited in line to take a picture with those wise men, and Joseph, Mary and a little cabbage patch baby Jesus. It was about this time that I realized we were the only ones around that spoke English, and my Spanish is not awesome enough to understand any of what was happening.

The rain started coming down in sheets so we hid out in a dollar store and ended up buying way too many dollars worth of only somewhat-needed things. But it kept us dry, and out of our house for a little bit longer. After we got closer to home, Ever decided to throw a fake little tantrum that was adorably hilarious. He seriously can start full-on, rushing-tears crying on demand, the little pill!

But he was happy only seconds later and just, gosh, just so cute. He really is getting big and I kind of want to eat him for dinner.


1 comment:

  1. You are a hero!!!! A real, true, Manhattan Mama hero! Those adventures are hard work.

    ReplyDelete