Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monday musings on a Tuesday

My Monday proved to be quite busier than most, in such a positive way. There are good people in my life these days, and I spent much of the day enjoying them (and making the most out of some alone time with a daytime sitter-swap as well). So alas, my musings from yesterday are coming atcha today.  
 
*I signed my baby up for Kindergarten, and then I looked at myself long and hard in the mirror and said, "Self, are you ready for this?" And all I could say was, gulp.
 
*Walking around in freezing weather (negative 18 with wind chill last week folks) makes you realize just how many dogs live in this city, mostly because their yellow pee freezes all over the sidewalk (instantly I presume, although I didn't let Talmage test his hypothesis!) We are ice skating down our block on dog pee. Three second rule for dropped treats? Not in New York.
 
*T is making a name for himself as being very, um, outspoken in primary. Shocking, right? His recent outburst? "I HATE New York weather. I'm moving back to Stanford."
 
*Word for the wise: if you must carry your groceries home in the rain choose plastic over paper. It might be a bad choice for the world at large, but it's definitely a positive choice for your personal world. And for the innocent bystanders that might see a mighty scene were one of your paper bags to disintegrate.
 
*Ever to me, as sincerely and innocent as can be: Mommy, I go poo-poo in da toiwet because I wuv you so much.
 
*I'm kind of digging the Christmas trees all over the streets of New York waiting to be picked up. The smell of pine drifts through the air on my walks and it's almost like I'm in a forest...that's being logged. Anyway, I definitely don't cry the day we take the tree down. But Christmas cards, that's another story. Those will be on my wall for months if James doesn't protest soon. There will be a lot of tears when they leave.
 
*That moment when you see the mailman walking down your street and he says, "How are you? It's been a while!" and yet you just saw him a few days ago. And after your conversation you realize that you're a grown up and you are friends with the mailman and you remind yourself an awful lot of your parents. Me, yesterday.
 
*We make Talmage run up and down the stairs in our building to release some energy because he has a lot more than too much, especially on our recent stint of inside-only days. James came back after a particularly rough T-day with a tired kid. Turns out running up and down 40 floors will do that to you ;)
 
 What Ever and I do while climbing the stairs after T. Pictures and faces and huffing and puffing. And him in my arms, always.


You see those quick little feet in the background of the picture? That's what T does. He takes his work-outs seriously.

3 comments:

  1. hahah!! I laughed so hard at this!! I love what Talmage said in primary--hilarious.
    Also--so funny that Talmage just runs up and down! Do you guys run with him? Or mostly watch him? That kid is hilarious.
    And frozen dog pee? GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could make him run up and down by himself (mostly because carrying Ever up and down all those stairs is too much of a work-out these days!) but I do it with him. We live in a nice enough building but I've watched one too many episodes of CSI to trust just about anyone!

      Delete
  2. Loved this! It is so fun to read what you write!

    ReplyDelete