Thursday, January 16, 2014

New York Hall of Science


We trekked to Queens on a freezing rain kind of day to visit the New York Hall of Science. The museum is free every Friday afternoon and you know how I feel about free events, I'm kind of all about them. And my boys are just about getting out of the house these days--winter woes. It takes a little under an hour to get to the museum on the subway, but the last half of the trip the train is above ground and my boys think that's just the coolest, so really the whole trip was a treat.

Speaking of treats? We got to see the museum's famous Gingerbread Lane (just days before they tore it down for the season, no less). There are 164 independent gingerbread houses that make up this village, and get this: the structure weighs in at slightly more than 1.5 tons and uses 2,240 pounds of icing. I feel like even the best of pictures can't show how massive this is and how awesome it was to see it!

The museum was relatively empty for being a free afternoon (probably because not many people are crazy enough to go out in freezing rain) which gave my boys the opportunity to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Now that they are both getting older, I am seeing how awesome it's going to be having two boys so close together. They love learning and playing together, and were interested in a lot of the same stuff. Some days they fight like enemies, but today they played like besties and couldn't get enough of each other! Here were a few of their favorite things:

making molecules
 
blowing bubbles

playing surgeon
 
learning about ecosystems

trains--because playing with them for hours a day at home is surely not enough ;)

science experiments 

We left after 3 hours and the boys were in tears because they had such a good time and didn't want to leave. I can see another visit to this museum in our future, for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I love hands on places like this. I remember when you kids were younger doing something like this in San Francisco and I am not sure who had more fun, the kids or dad and I!

    ReplyDelete