Monday, April 27, 2015

Ever's Anniversary Tears

I spent much of Thursday consoling a sobbing Ever Knight who was "weawy, weawy sad" that he didn't attend my wedding. If there's one thing you should know about Everett it is that he loves his Mama something fierce. Similar sobs were cried a few weeks ago when he learned that I couldn't marry him because I was already married to Daddy, and unfortunately was not willing to leave Daddy for him. Sobs--real true sobs. Last time it was, "But Mommy, why didn't you wait for me so that we could get married?" and this time it was, "I'll never see your dress, or your shoes or your smile on your wedding day...why didn't you invite me to your wedding Mommy?" Another thing you should probably know about Everett is that he's a feeler first and a thinker second. I tried to reason with him and give him every rational explanation why it seriously wasn't possible for us to get married or for him to attend our wedding (I even through in that he was probably watching it with excitement from heaven) but alas, Ever felt the pain deep inside and he kept crying and crying and crying some more.  I quickly realized that Everett didn't need any more rational thoughts, he just needed to be scooped up in my arms until all those tears were loved right out of him; so off to the couch we went, Ever Knight and I. We spent three hours cuddled together looking at wedding pictures, discussing details, crying and laughing and asking/answering questions. I'd like to say that by the end he "got it" and felt better about not attending our big day, but to be honest he was still a little fuzzy on everything when we left to pick up T from school, but the tears were gone and love was shared and when James got home from work later that day Ever said, "Daddy, I know aw about when you and Mommy got mawied!" My tender little Ev, I love him something fierce too. 

It was because of all his tears we decided to really play up our anniversary day as our family's birthday party. We celebrated as a family last year and I realized that this is definitely a tradition I want to keep because it is, in fact, the birth of our family and how fun is that?! This year we went out to tacos and then came home to celebrate with a cake and candle (and a fabulous rendition of "Happy birthday to US!") Seven years as a family and a whole, heck of a lot to show for it. We are truly blessed!

2 comments: