Wednesday, April 22, 2015

James the Birthday Boy

James is 29, which is to say that I am almost 30 gosh-darn years old. How the exit of my 20's happened as I blinked is beyond me (and I'm sure will be discussed in earnest around these parts as my big day draws closer) but uh-hum, this is a post that is totally devoted to the main man in our lives. Well, him and the most delicious Texas BBQ we've ever consumed, that is.

This year April 13th fell on a Monday--and not just any Monday, but a Monday-before-a-work-trip-so-there-was-no-way-to-take-a-day Monday. Isn't that the worst? Everyone should get to take their birthday off of work. And their wives/husbands birthday. And their kids. And their parents, neighbors and friends' big day too. And shoot, do we really ever have to go to work? Yes, you say? Well, James agreed so whole wheat banana pancakes with melty candles on top were all we could do before sending him off to work, not to see him again until our 6 pm rendezvous at Hill Country BBQ in Flatiron. We missed him all day, but made sure to provide lots of birthday entertainment with calls and texts and some seriously off-key tunes.

The star of the night was definitely Hill Country, the yummiest BBQ James and I have tasted in the longest time. The ribs, the brisket, the chicken--they were all finger-licking good. But the macaroni and cheese? Well, T and I almost got into a brawl over seconds! And I know good mac and cheese. If I were to do it again though (and was being totally honest), I would find a sitter for Tweedle Dee, Dum and the Baby and enjoy that place with just the birthday boy by my side. As it was, the atmosphere was loud and no one seemed all-too bothered by our brood, but geez, after Everett fell off his chair for the second time and Talmage poured chili pepper all over his french fries I was about ready to wave a white flag! But we conquered dinner at a restaurant with littles and even enjoyed ourselves if you can believe it! James said it was the perfect birthday dinner, so that's what really matters.

We came home and nearly burned the place down with a Haagen Dazs ice cream cake wearing 29 long, sparkler candles. The cake was great, the candles were great, and singing the birthday song once again was, well, great! Then it was present opening time and that man of ours was spoiled by so many loved ones (and we are so, so grateful!) Then it was bedtime for the littles, bedtime for me, and packing time for the birthday boy.

Twenty-eight was a big year for James--he has grown in ways I could have never imagined. I think the addition of our new baby girl and a major looming job decision has caused him to look at our future and really question--what do I want to become? what do we want for our family? what does God want for all of us? Of course James has always thought about the answers to those questions but never before like this last year where he turned it all over to God and then made decisions that neither of us had expected and many around us have questioned. It was in these last few months that I saw a new side of him, a side I really, really like and a side I'm sure will look just as good on the 29-year-old James as it did on the 28-year-old. So bring it 29! Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment