Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Back to barf, back to reality

Last week James and I had the dreamiest vacation of our lives in Maui celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. It was our first time away since our honeymoon and while I had some concerns of homesickness I'm happy to report that I was too busy having a blast on adventures and catching up on r&r to notice! Sure, by the last couple of days I missed the kids but mostly we were doing things they would've hated anyway like crazy hikes, long car drives, snorkeling, eating at fancy restaurants and pooling at the Westin Resort (wait, they probably would've liked that last one, but all the others not so much!) It was great for James and me to remember that while we're parents, we're also (and first and foremost) spouses and it felt so good to reconnect and adventure together. Geez, it was fun. Monster post with pictures galore to come!

But back to the purpose of this post. And the reason that monster post of fun will still have to wait.

When we got on the plane to come back home the pilot said, "Welcome aboard American Airlines flight from Maui going back to... reality!" I couldn't help but laugh knowing that four crazy kids were waiting for me at home and boy is that a smack of reality after a week of silence, but had I have known what was really waiting for me at home I may have added some tears to those chuckles!!!

My Mom had told me she would be asleep when we got home so I was surprised when she opened the door to welcome us home at midnight. "I hate to welcome you home in this way," she said. "But Coco is throwing up everywhere. I just got her back to bed. I think she may have the stomach flu."

The end. Game over. Put a fork in it. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

So, it's Wednesday. We got home on Saturday night. My parents left Sunday morning. James went back to work on Monday. Bam! Reality! Back to mom-life with four barfers to boot! As I type this at 3 in the afternoon four sicky kids are on couches covered in sheets and towels watching movies with barf bowels in close proximity. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, hence my ability to write right now, but we're not there yet heaven help us. I've spent the past four days cleaning up throw-up from so many places and from so many mouths, wiping nasty bottoms, dishing out gatorade and saltines and cooling fevered heads. I've wiped salty tears, held whining hands and rubbed backs hunched over the toilet, almost always with another sick baby in tow. Us Wigs have never had a stomach flu experience quite like this one, and it decided to come the second we came home from our vacation. What the timing, amiright?

To be real though, the timing probably couldn't have been better. Sure, it was a rude awakening from our relaxing vacation, but I felt so refreshed from a week away that the cleaning, the worrying, the lack of sleeping didn't seem as daunting as it otherwise would have. It's amazing how much better I feel at my job of mothering with just a little time away. Stomach flu X4, bring it!

On second thought, stomach flu X4, please have mercy and don't hit the Wiggy adults!   







None of my kids are prone to nap or sleep outside of their beds so it was a complete shock (and totally picture-worthy) to see them fall asleep this week on couches or chairs or even on their beds with no prompting. Cora was the first to go down but by today she was back to smiling and playing and hamming it up for the camera so there is hope for us yet! Can't wait until all four of my sicky kids are smiling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment