Thursday, May 10, 2018

Maui, Part 2

By way of introduction, this is the second of two posts about James and my 10th anniversary trip in Maui. Both of them are ridiculously long and full of pictures of fancy drinks, sunsets and a few couple shots. This was our first time getting away since Talmage was born nine years ago so we were probably a little trigger happy, but I'm happy we were because it's nice to look back at these pictures and remember that our time in Hawaii was not just a dream (although it was just dreamy!)


How could I not take a daily picture with a few this good?

And a few minutes later, a rainbow!!!





Ever the historian, James found the first LDS meetinghouse in Hawaii and penciled that into our itinerary when we'd be in the vicinity. It was such a cute little church building and I felt happy and holy within those halls. I gave him major flack for this but it really was a cool visit!



















That is a looooooot of farm pictures but that's because it was beautiful and fun and at every turn I wanted to memorialize our experience with a picture! Basically we took a farm tour at O'O Farms and then were served a (literal) farm to fork lunch cooked on the premises (we actually picked what we would eat). The food was delicious and the grounds were amazing. James used to think success meant a ranch in Montana but he told me after this experience that he may have gotten the wrong M state--how about a ranch in Maui?!




This was probably my favorite sunset of the trip, hot orange and neon yellow slowly melting into the horizon while pink wispy clouds spotted the sky. If I could live right smack on the beach I wouldn't be sad about it.


The pancakes at the Gazebo were something else but I kid you not, I'm still dreaming about that fried rice! Believe it or not, that's a half-serving of fried rice and a single stack of banana pancakes (split in half). I really love food and I really hate to cook so just looking at this makes me want to cry--happy tears over it's deliciousness and sad tears over not having it available to me on the daily. Bring me back!!!


What you get when you tan the very first (and sunniest) day in a different bathing suit. Hello white ribcage and tummy! I can't look at this picture without laughing. #reallife




We snorkeled this cove in Napili and were blown away by our experience! Literally there were turtles EVERYWHERE and while we weren't allowed to touch them, I mostly feared that that they were going to touch me! There were giant ones and baby ones, and also fish in all colors and eels and crabs. It was so incredible. Snorkeling this area was a referral from a friend and it absolutely did not disappoint.


This adventure was a classic case of the journey being far greater than the destination. We walked along this river and through this rainforest on our way to what was supposed to be the best snorkeling on the island in Honolua Bay. Unfortunately when we got there the water was murky and we couldn't snorkel at all (usually it's great, we just got unlucky), but the lush and gorgeous walk there made it all worth it!







The Nakalele Blowhole was the highlight of James' hike down lava rocks; the heart rock was mine.

Sunset, from our condo this time.


Breakfast at the Plantation House was such a letdown. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the food to anyone (I got the french toast, James got the eggs Benedict) but those views were pretty good!


A little mid-morning snack on the beach, haha!














We were planning on having a low-key last night in Hawaii but then James decided that it would be criminal to waste that time and wanted tickets to the Old Lahaina Luau. I was shocked since we had both decided pre-vacation that a luau was not a must-have experience for us, but he was adamant so we went for it! They were sold out until June but luckily there was a standby list and before we knew it we had real tickets and were wearing leis and drinking lava flows. The food was ok but the performances were really incredible. And James was right, the luau was a much more memorable send-off than Netflix would have been!


All of my leis--I loved each one of them and the beautiful memories they gave me!


One last picture off our lanai. This condo was so good.




One more shrimp plate at Geste because we couldn't stop talking about it all week.


Before we knew it we were fighting crowds at the airport and returning to sick (but darling) children in Los Angeles. At least they left us the cutest welcome home cards!!! Thanks Maui for the best anniversary adventure, we'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment