When the Big Wigs called with an offer to host a Grands Week/ Family Reunion during the last week of June it took me all of a half a breath to respond with, "WE'LL BE THERE!!!" I was really touched that they would take the week off of work and other commitments to spend with our family and was even more moved when I saw the time and energy that went into planning activities each day that fit into the theme of our week: California history. (I mean, really people, there was a spreadsheet full of daily fun! It was like living in a dream!) They thoughtfully planned it with Talmage in mind since he's going into 4th grade and when we were growing up that was the year we studied our state's past (maybe he will this year as well? maybe I should know the answer to that already?!) The week was full of fun, learning, swimming and some good old fashioned bonding time. It was fabulous.
Carolyn and her babies came in from Utah and Kate and Brendan are in Sac for the summer so we had a full house and two full cars on all of our adventures. I love when my kids get a chance to spend such quality time with cousins and aunts and grandparents who love them dearly. We're all richly blessed and don't I know it.
So, here is the long, looong, loooooooonnnnnng recap of our week together. I debated making these all separate posts because believe me, these full days were all individual-post worthy, but when it came down to it I thought what the heck and threw every picture in existence into this one looooonnnnng post. Well, maybe not in existence. But close. Don't say you haven't been warned.
MONDAY:
Railroad Museum
Old Sac
We drove up on Monday morning to this welcoming chalk art! Now if that doesn't scream Your grandparents adore you and are excited you're here I just don't know what does. I thought it was a charming touch!
We went to the most darling story time at the Railroad Museum and while we all loved it, Coco was a little wary of getting her picture taken with the men behind the picture books!
There were wax figures all over the museum and Quinn couldn't get enough of pretending to be in their vignette. She doesn't lack for personality, that's for sure.
He wants to break a record in driving fast. You shocked? Me neither.
With both James and Bryce back at home working, Uncle B stepped in in a major way--especially when the kids needed a shoulder ride, a playmate in the pool, or someone to race with in the park. He's so great and it's easy to see why Kate loves him.
Everyone picked out 10 pieces of taffy. Except Cora. She somehow left the candy store with some spicy Mexican gellies and a few pixie sticks. How in the heck did I miss that?!
This pool got some good use during our week in Sacramento. It was the perfect place to cool off when the weather got really hot, which it did. Let it be known that Cora can now swim around a pool by herself with a puddle jumper. I basically still think of her as a newborn so this literally floored me!
On this day, and every one after, she ended up sweetly catching some zzz's on our way back to my parents house. She was such a trooper with not taking naps and I know I've said it a trillion times but I'm so grateful that she's such an easy little friend.
TUESDAY:
Dairy Farm
Leatherby's
Some friends of the Big Wigs own a dairy farm in Galt and graciously let us city-folk come take a peek. By city-folk I'm clearly referring to us Lil Wigs who were not only shocked by the wide open spaces and number of cows but some of us (I'm not naming names, eh-hem, Quinn) didn't even know that milk came from cows, smh! There are more pictures from this day than any other because I just couldn't stop. Every day was wonderful and special but thinking back on our week, this day definitely topped my list.
These little babies were born the day before we visited them, putting my 10 pound baby to shame!
Every chance I got I was saying, "Hey, will you take a picture of me with this cow?!" Hahaha!
Coco wasn't so sure about the cows, but she sure appreciates what they produce! The owner's nice family brought us milk (regular and chocolate) and cheese and the kids were thrilled, seriously thrilled.
I have approximately 50 pictures of me with my fingers being nibbled by a calf and even still I can't believe it happened. I took the pictures in the first place because I knew James wouldn't believe it unless he saw photographic evidence. Yes, I'm a scaredy cat with animals but look at me, being all nature-like! This was soooo fun!
T loves animals with all of his soft, sweet, kind heart and fell hard for these cows. Now he doesn't just want me to buy him a dog, a calf has made the list. #notoboth
Cows as far as the eye can see.
Cows make milk and that makes ice cream, which makes a trip to Leatherby's both educational and delicious. I loved this themed treat, but to be honest I could probably make a strong case for Leatherby's no matter what our activity!
Having a baby fall asleep on you has to be the biggest treat in the world. Little Blakey konked out while we were reading books and didn't wake up for the longest time. It was so, super sweet.
WEDNESDAY:
Crocker Art Museum
Fairytale Town
Fairytale Town
If I had all day to explore this gorgeous gallery in downtown Sac I most definitely would. As it was, we loved what we saw and the kids were so good. They especially liked making special art projects in an event orchestrated by the museum.
I sure love adventuring through museums with these four.
All of the Wiggy cousins with their special creations in tow.
There are so many great things about this picture. Obviously I love that Papa and Gigi are surrounded by their grandbabies but I also love that Evie is being so sweet to Blake, Quinn is pointing at the camera, Spence is looking sooooo done with the million photos I've made him take and T is just coming down from a flexing pose. Oh, the memories made during this fun week!
We assigned each munchkin a buddy during the week to keep things more sane (and so that we never lost anyone, haha) and one time when we told everyone to find their buddies these two grabbed each others hand and walked off. Coco is only a few months older than Blake but she kept calling him baby and wanted to take care of him. It was really sweet!
While the other car went to pick up propane for our BBQ, our car went to visit the house where GG was raised. I was just snapping a quick photo of the home when the owner came out and invited us inside. She's selling the home soon, but she actually purchased it from the person who bought it from Honey and Grandpa so they actually knew quite a few of the same people. It was so cool to see this home and hear stories from her time living here. I loved this real life family history moment.
Papa is an excellent airplane-feeder and Coco was eating it up!
THURSDAY:
Sutter's Fort
Haagen's Burgers & Freezes
In 4th grade I was able to spend the night at this old, historic fort. I remember the smell of the fire in the morning after a long night with little sleep and hefty night-watch responsibilities, and I also remember it being so much bigger than it currently is! It was ridiculously fun to share this place with my little ones.
Papa and GG gave each child $10 to spend at the trading post and it was so cute to see what they chose for themselves. Coco-a bonnet, Quinny-a key and a treasure box, Ev-a gold mining kit and T-a cannon pencil sharpener.
Burgers and freezes at the Wig's favorite place! I'm still dreaming about the onion rings...the best I've ever had by a long shot.
Auntie Care was able to get some Cora sleepy time and aren't they both the luckiest? This baby was so phenomenal on those long days with no naps.
FRIDAY:
Temple
James flew in on Friday morning so that he could spend one day with his family before we drove back to Los Angeles. Mostly, he was excited and desperately wanted to go to the temple to seal his Dad to Great Papa and KK. In our church, we believe that families can be together forever and it was really touching to go to the temple in proxy for so many people we know and love. My parents watched the seven Wiggy grandkids and no offense to any of them, but having a day with just the adults was fabulous. We've already talked about how this trip needs to be done on a yearly basis, and we also want this temple trip to be a tradition.
Thanks again to the Big Wigs for their invitation, planning, generosity and memories. It was a great Wiggy Reunion and us little Wigs are super grateful for such a fun Summer adventure.






































































No comments:
Post a Comment