Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The best day in Balboa

We just had the best day. The very best day. Not even SoCal traffic could stop grateful tears from pouring down my cheeks as we drove home tonight because this life I live, these kids I love, this gosh-darn perfect day, I'm so grateful for the lot of it. I don't know why it hit me so hard tonight, but I'm willing to wager it has something to do with that dreadful thing happening exactly three weeks from today: the first day of school. {Cue more tears. Sobs actually. And if you think I'm joking, well I ain't joking.}

I love school for my children because it means learning and friendships and independence and growth, but I love summer for my children for all the same reasons, plus the added bonus that they're alllllll mine, all the time. I love them, and spending my weeks adventuring by their side is such a joy. It's the very best part of mothering for me, and summer is our time to shine. I've got three more weeks to enjoy the heck out of them (and you better believe I've already planned every one of those days) and then don't be surprised if muffled behind my proud-mom back-to-school posts you spot, or maybe hear, a melancholy Wiggy mama. Why does summer have to end so soon?

But for the moment, let's focus on the goodness at hand. And that, my friends, was our first ever visit to Balboa Island, which I now know to be the most charming place in the history of the world. How it took me almost three years of living in Los Angeles to visit Newport in earnest I do not know, but everyone's hype was not in vain. This place is legit!

We started at Marina Beach which is similar to Mother's Beach in LA except with a waaaaaaay better playground. I haven't visited Mother's in years and today had me questioning: why haven't I visited Mother's in years? The kids loved swimming around in their puddle jumpers and there were no scary waves knocking the little ones over. It was awesome! We lost some nap-needing friends after the beach and the playground, but a lot of the mamas thought all that play definitely warranted some sugar so we went in search of frozen bananas. And we found them. LOTS of them! And they were exactly the sweet treat we needed on this hot, sticky June day.

By this point all of our friends were ready to go home, but when I asked my crew they begged for more fun. Coco was literally chanting, "No go home! No go home!" Yep, I've created adventure-monsters! We bid the masses adieu and then took the ferry to Balboa Peninsula for scooter riding, wave watching, house hunting (I wish!) and carni ride testing. There was exactly one moment when the heat of the day was nothing compared to the heat of a child but just like the cool forgiving coastal winds gave relief to our bodies, slowly breathing them in cooled us right down on the inside. Bless that Daniel Tiger for providing us with the best (and our most used) advice--When you get frustrated and want to roar, take a deep breath and count to four. Raising children really is magical by the water, especially when Mr. Rogers sneaks his way in there!

Somehow it was nearly six before we reached our car again, and by that time the freeway was full of accidents and it was sure to take us twice as long as it should to get home. So we made the only rational choice and...went to adventure some more!!! Cafe Rio for dinner gave us some fuel and bought us some time not sitting in the 405 parking lot. Plus, does a Tuesday even count if you haven't eaten a taco or two?!

My babies are finally in bed now and I should be too, but I couldn't go to sleep without writing down a few words about today, because boy was it a day. I hope I never forget the sight of Everett bravely swimming out to the buoy, Cora realizing her love for the lighthouse slide for the first time, Talmage winning a free ride ticket in a game of musical chairs and Quinny dancing to Happy in the middle of the Boardwalk. I want to hear Quinn's giggles as she sees the fish jumping through the marina, I want to taste the rainbow sprinkles that Coco kept wanting to share from her frozen banana, I want to touch a brave-but-sad Everett who needed validation after a difficult loss and I want to smell the saltwater and sunscreen in T's summer-bleached hair. My heart is exploding from the love they showed me today, and I must have told them how much I adored them at least 100 times. And that's what I really hope we all never forget. Long after our memories of today have faded, I pray those heart-stretching feelings remain. Because that's what all these adventures are really about, aren't they.

 Marina Park, FTW.


 
 The big boys who took turns burying each other, and then attempted to each bury themselves. Why? Good question!


 Do you see that green puddle-jumper in the distance? I couldn't be prouder of Ever Knight swimming in deep water. You just have no idea how big that is! And of course cutie Quinny taking center stage!

Quinn has started making all sorts of funny poses when I ask for a picture, a lot of them include her "thumbs up" which she is still insanely proud of. 

  Dear Ever, Whatcha lookin' at?! Love, Mom

 Such a fun group of mamas to adventure with, and this is only half of them!


 Green fields full of playtime opportunities.


They all knew what they wanted: T got a Balboa bar with both rainbow and chocolate sprinkles, Evie a cup of cotton candy ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, Quinn a cone of cotton candy ice cream with no sprinkles and Coco a frozen banana with rainbow sprinkles. 

 And me? The yummiest frozen banana with toasted almonds. Oh gosh, give me another!


 

  My biker gang on the ferry to Balboa.

 

 T's ride of choice was the bungee-jumping. He really got the hang of those back flips.

 Ever and Quinny loved the Happy Swing!

They were all so hot and sweaty and tired by this point and yet they were still in such great moods. These kids are as good as they come, and Balboa was such a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment