Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pancake Day

When in England, do as the English and celebrate Pancake Day!



I started seeing signs a few weeks ago publicizing the occasion and I thought it was some kind of joke. Pancake Day? A holiday? Really? But it is no joke, my friends. Today all of England ate pancakes...and we did too. And they were good.


I did some research, and found out that Pancake Day occurs on Shrove Tuesday, or the day preceding Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent). Originally pancakes, made with sugar, fat and eggs, were consumed as a last feast before the restricted Lent diet. Now, however, I think Betty Crocker makes a pretty penny and the event is more about eating and less about religion (they call it Pancake Day for heaven sake).

My opinion, breakfast foods should receive a little more credit. Yum, yum, double yum to morning foods (eaten all hours of the day!) They are, and always have been, and always will be, my favorite!



I vote that Pancake Day become a regular holiday in the USA.

And waffle day.

And of course, french toast day.

Eggs benedict day for Jim (his favorite).

And hot chocolate day?

How about cinnamon toast crunch day.

And omelet day.

Maybe someday this will be on the ballot (weirder things have happened).

But for now, happy Pancake Day!

3 comments:

  1. Boy oh boy, did those pancakes look good! Talmage really looked like he was enjoying them! I agree with you, bring on the breakfast foods! I think if I had my choice, I'd vote for French Toast day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny because we were going to have pancakes that day too! But then our plans changes and we did something else. But then we had burritos instead... which also remind me of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Cinnamon Toast Crunch day! That would be awesome!!! I think I'm going to make up crazy holidays for my family to celebrate!! Something to look forward to. I love it!

    ReplyDelete