Thursday, February 18, 2010

Scripture Man

Once upon a time, in a far off land called Provo, a young undergrad named Jimmy James met a nice old man named Legrand Baker. Legrand and James became great friends, meeting together often to read scriptures and discuss the meaning of life (I'm serious...that's really what they did). When Jimmy James met his Princess (haha..ME), Legrand encouraged him to drop a class from his ridiculously over-achieving schedule to spend more time with her (leaving him with 16 credits instead of 19, crazy kid!) Right off the bat, Legrand Baker was on my good list! As a term of affection and appreciation, I started referring to him as "Scripture Man." It seemed fitting due to his incredible understanding of every verse, chapter and book of the Standard Works, plus in my family we give people we really, really like nicknames. So there you have it, I have never called him anything but Scripture Man since (he chuckles when he hears it) and my family only knows him by this name. He is one of Jim's best friends, and someone he can connect with in a very deep and real way. We love him.



Well, Scripture Man recently wrote a book about, you guessed it, the scriptures. Another book, I should say, he has written a few already. He is brilliant, and all of his books are full to the brim with scriptural references and interpretation. When this most recent book was not yet a book, Scripture Man sought Jim's help in proofreading and adding to the manuscript. A few months ago, Scripture Man announced that his book was published, and he gifted Jim a copy (and sent it all the way to England!)

When Jim started reading the book, he found his name listed in the acknowledgement section. He was really touched and honored to be associated with this man and his work. We want to send a special congrats to Scripture Man (Legrand!) for such a remarkable book. Thank you so much for sharing yourself and your knowledge with us!

I LOVE these pictures. I made him take two because I said no one would think he even enjoys the book if they only looked at the first one! He does enjoy it though, A LOT!

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool! So if only the people you relly like recieve nicknames, I should feel super duper special then that I inherited the nickname "Ash the Trash" from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS James!!! We are so proud of you!!

    "ASH THE TRASH" SERIOUSLY.....I LIKE THAT MUCH BETTER THAN TRASHLEIGH....I FEEL CHEATED!!!!

    ReplyDelete