Monday, July 18, 2011

10 OUNCES!

The excitement of having baby Ev home was tainted by one thing and one thing only: the scale. The only way we could keep him home was if he gained weight. The only way he could gain weight was if he ate. The only way he could eat was by waking up, and the only thing he wanted to do after being bugged for 12 days in the PICU was sleep. And sleep. And sleep.

With threats of another hospital stay looming over my head, I woke that little man up around the clock, urging him to eat. He would take three sucks or so, and then return to slumberland, refusing to eat anything more. On his second day of being home, I called our favorite PICU doctor in tears, asking her what I should do. The next day an appointment was scheduled with our pediatric cardiologist and my fear was confirmed...he had lost weight. Granted, he had only lost an ounce and a half, but the doctors weren't willing to take any chances. They set another appointment for today and told me to do everything I could to help him beef up.

I cried and prayed and nursed pretty much all week long. With Talmage I was very scheduled and only nursed when it was "time." This time around has been so different. Pretty much everytime Ev opens his eyes (or even one eye) I offer him some mama's milk! I've been nursing nearly ever 90 minutes, or more. Luckily, the little peanut gained an appetite over the weekend...and at our appointment today we were given this sticker...

WOO-HOO!!! He's gained 10 ounces since Thursday and overall is doing GREAT! He lost a lot of weight since birth because of his surgery and heart issues, but he's now up to 8 lbs 11 oz. I am so excited. He's also 22 1/2 inches long.


And gosh darn, isn't he so cute? I just love that little baby to pieces. Especially that thick head of hair and big beautiful eyes! Keep eating baby boy...I can't wait for your rolls to come back!

3 comments:

  1. Well done Mummy and well done little boy you are a star, such good news to hear that you are starting to gain weight xx So glad to see you posting Heather we love updates xxx Ev is a gorgeous little boy for sure. Love to all four of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I was always so proud of Lauren's weight gain--esp. when it comes from your milk. I am so so happy that little Ev is growing and doing well and is safe at home. So happy for you guys. And, yes, he is really really cute. To me, he doesn't look like Mr. T Man, but maybe that is because I never saw him when he was just a few weeks old. He is darling!

    ReplyDelete