Saturday, July 2, 2011

Our Sweet Little Ev

Everett Knight Wigginton

June 30, 2011

8 lbs 15 oz 20 1/2 inches long

Long dark hair. Snuggly and sweet. Beautiful dark grey eyes.



That was the blog post I wanted to post. Short and simple, just to inform everyone that he was here, we are in love and that life with us is good...oh so good.

But unfortunately that is not my post to blog.


The first two days with Ev were pure bliss. He loved to be held and I loved to hold him, which worked out pretty well for both of us. After having T in the NICU as a baby, I appreciated every second of the time I was able to bond and love on Ev during the time right after birth. He was so new and fresh and perfect. He ate like a champ and never cried. It was awesome.


But he started heading downhill and I started to notice. He didn't want to eat. He was irritable. He was super tired. The nurses thought I was crazy and said that I shouldn't worry, but I did. Finally one of the doctors listened to me and had him sent to the nursery to be monitored. They ran all sorts of tests, and before I knew it my little Ev was being sent to the NICU. Another baby in the NICU...oh bother.


Things after that happened fast. It turns out that Ev has a congenital heart defect that was not seen in prenatal ultrasounds or testing called coarctation of the aorta. I don't know a lot, but I'm learning that the aorta carries blood from the heart to the vessels, and because his aorta is narrowed that blood is having a hard time getting to where it wants to go. He has been attached to pretty much every machine in the NICU, was intubated, was transferred to a bigger hospital in the area and they tell us he will have heart surgery in the next few days. He is fighting hard and is seriously my hero. You would all be so amazed at his strength.


My pregnancy with Ev was such a positive, beautiful experience and his first few days of life have been just the same. I am so aware of Heavenly Father's hand in our life, and in retrospect can see the many ways he prepared me for this and directed me so that I could feel peace. I'll share a few of those experiences in the days to come. It's been a hard day with a lot of emotions, but I have faith and I am oh-so grateful for all of our blessings.


Please pray for our little fighter. We love him so much and want nothing more than to have both our boys together with us again.

19 comments:

  1. Heather and James-Praying and fasting for you and your little guy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, my love! Prayers and love from England on their way! XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, you are an amazing mom, wife, woman, daughter - I am praying with all the urgency of my soul. I love you so much, and our little Ev is as precious as they come! Keep fighting little guy - we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you so much!! We have been praying all night for you, James and our little angel Ev!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baby! My prayers will be with you all! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I be honest? It made me so sad to read this. You two (now four) have been through so much. I know Our Heavenly Father is so mindful of you. He will guide you through these next steps that you take in your lives. You are so strong and will be made stronger through this. I will add you to my fast today. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we had seen this before fast Sunday! Our love and prayers and thoughts are with you. The Nurses (a.k.a. Angels) in those baby units are amazing- it WILL all work out! Love Abby, Ben and Oliver Twigger xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending love and prayers your way. If there is anything that we can do please don't hesitate, we are available at a moments notice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet guy. You'll have him home in no time. Lots of love and prayers being sent your way from us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is wonderful! You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, James, Tal, Ev and Family:

    We are praying for God's wisdom, knowledge, guidance, love and peace for you, the doctors, and staff and pray God will use them as instruments in His hands to restore Ev to complete health. We are in constant prayer for you all and if there is anything we can do to help meet your needs at this time, please let us know. We love you!

    Mark, Sandy, and family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather (sweetheart) little Ev has come to the right family, which has to mean that Heavenly Father knows a thing or two, what if he had been born to a young mum without the love and family back up you have,or the knowledge and experience of having Tal who went through so much. your little guy is gorgeous and he has all your friends and family praying and fasting for him, including your Welsh family here xx We love you and Jim and Tal and long for good news of a successful surgery for Ev xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfectly handsome little guy! I've been thinking about you guys all day and you will continue to be in my prayers. Love you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for an easy recovery for the little guy. Modern medicine is so amazing sometimes. Congratulations on your new little boy! Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Goold Family is keeping you and ur sweet family in our prayers! We love you all so much and know the Lord is watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your new little guy! I will be keeping you and Ev in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather, James, T, and little Ev:

    I am sending out prayers and blessings from the entire family down here in Bakersfield. Ev is certainly blessed to be born into a family that has a lot of love and faith in the Lord's healing touch. I am sure that this hiccup will allow for Ev to be a strong and faithful young man, and serve God wisely and with a thankful heart.

    Love to you all,

    Vicci, David, Caitlyn, Josh, Carter, and Meaghan

    ReplyDelete