Thursday, July 7, 2011

One Week Old!

It's hard to believe that one week ago I was blissfully, albeit naively, holding Everett in my arms for the first time. So much has happened and I can't help but feel grateful. This experience has once again proven to me that Heavenly Father knows and loves us each individually.

After the traumatic birth I experienced with T, Heavenly Father knew that my greatest desire was to hold and love on my newborn. He knew I wanted a perfect delivery. He blessed me with an ideal birth and a full 36 hours of love and kisses before the heart condition was discovered. I had time to stare at Ev and marvel at his perfection. I had time to discuss name options with Jim and name our precious heavenly bundle. I had time to kiss him, to hold him skin to skin, to nurse him and to just enjoy the calm. Heavenly Father was so merciful to let me have that time. I know that He loves me.

I also know that Heavenly Father loves Ev. He knew about his heart condition, and he blessed me with the confidence and energy to be his advocate when I could tell something was wrong. He gave Everett a strong, fighting spirit and a healthy body that could withstand this trial. He also gave Ev a peaceful nature that has soothed all around him. I know that Heavenly Father loves his Everett and I'm so grateful He sent him to me!

This week has been another learning experience for me on my earthly journey. I would never desire a trial like this, but I'm grateful for the things I have learned...and I'm sure will continue to learn. One things for sure, we are blessed beyond belief to have Ev in our eternal family.

To celebrate his one week birthday, we did lots of fun things...



We brought out the baseball binkie and let the football binkie take a rest for a while.



We started feeding him mama's milk with a little bottle. His feeds are starting VERY slowly, but he seems to be handling them quite well.



We held him and cuddled him and gave him plenty of love.




Ev had another echo to check on the outcome of his surgery. Looks good!




And...we were visited by Bobby Jackson and Slamson from the Kings. I was (am) a HUGE Bobby Jackson fan, so I was stoked for Ev to have a picture with him. He was so nice and kept commenting on how cute Ev is. He also gave Ev an autographed basketball and a bag of goodies. Hey, I guess there are some perks to having heart surgery!







And on a side note, I just love the heck out of this cute boy. He came to the hospital yesterday and was SO well behaved in the PICU. He even called the doctor by name (instead of growling at her!) He took Ev's special heart pillow home and is keeping it company until Ev can get there. Wow, I'm a lucky girl to have these boys in my life!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, Heather. I have been thinking about and praying for you guys daily. Keep holding strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a bad perk of heart surgery. Ev is going to brag about that photo and signed ball when he gets older. We are so glad he is doing so well. Eisley has been saying a special prayer for Ev each night and it's been pretty touching to see her love and concern for your family. Kids really are very strong and full of love, especially yours! Keep posting. I wake up each morning and have to check in on the blog before I do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your beautiful words take my breath away and the message they give all of us blog readers is that we have to be thankful for every learning curve and to look for the positive in every bad situation. I think you would make a terrific life coach Heather... if a snake bites someone on the toe you would show them how lucky they were not to be bit on the behind as on the toe someone may take enough pity to suck the poison out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We so happy for you guys and glad he is doing well. I loved NICU perks! They gave each of my kids Christmas presents and special t-shirts and a gift card to a clothing store. It never makes up for it, but when you are finally home with your baby that just made it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I just finally read everything that has been going on. You and your family are most definitely in our prayers! SO happy to see that Ev is getting stronger everyday. You little family is amazing, you have had so many experiences that have made you so close. Stay strong, you are in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I've been following your blog and am praying for your family and baby Ev. Glad surgery went well. the NICU is one of the hardest places to be in the world. Hope you get to go home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am putting a little blurb in the nutshell just that Ev's surgery went well and that he is taking a bottle now and to continue to pray for all of you, I hope that's ok?
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you both with your new little one. I am sorry that you have to be separate from your precious little one (I understand being separated myself). I am sending prayers your way. Big hug to you all.

    ReplyDelete