Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stanford

Ev was in surgery when Jim shared with me his morning bout of revelation.

"I had a really strong prompting that I should transfer to Stanford Law School," he said with a reverent mixture of humility and confidence.

Our doctors had told us that post-surgery life would definitely be less adventurous than our Wiggy-life had been, especially until some important genetic testing came back and until Ev received his first round of vaccinations. For lack of better words, Ev would be in a bubble, unless we were carting him around to cardiologist appointments, pediatrician check-ups and visits to our surgeons. We just couldn't risk him getting sick. The thought of doing that in the city, on subways, with crazy-man T and sensitive-baby Ev was, indeed, a harrowing concept, especially since our family support group is on the west coast. I didn't allow myself to get my hopes up about Stanford (the application was due on June 15, but since we weren't planning on transferring until after Ev was born ours wasn't in until July 20), but I told him it was worth a shot.

Everything went together seamlessly. Jim wrote a gorgeous personal statement that we believe was inspired (and mostly written) by a loving Heavenly Father. Two of his Columbia professors (Stanford grads themselves, I should add) wrote him sparkling letters of recommendation. The application was submitted and after less than a week of waiting Jim received a personal phone call from the dean of admissions at the law school asking about Ev's health and accepting Jim's transfer request. He accepted, and we are now Stanford Law students. Whoa!

So, once again, the Wiggy's are packing their bags and taking a big step into the dark. We are sad to leave our friends in New York, and all the amazing things the city has to offer, but we are completely confident that Heavenly Father has laid this path for us. Believe me, it wouldn't have happened without Him. My testimony now is stronger than it's ever been. God, our Heavenly Father, has a plan for each of our individual lives. He know us. He loves us. And everything happens for a reason. I'm so grateful.

Palo Alto, here we come!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That will be so wonderful to be so much closer to family. I'm so happy for you guys! Good luck with yet another move. You guys are pros at it by now, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will LOVE it there. The wards are great and I don't think there's better weather anywhere. I'm jealous! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be missed, but I am glad you will be close to your support network. It's amazing how Heavenly Father always has the best plan in mind for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very pleased, I know that you all loved New york and had such a great adventure, but family backup with two little guys is worth its weight in gold! I am sure little Ev will thrive in California have to say when Jim gets morning revelation its wonderful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will miss your sweet family. Thank you for sharing your testimony and wonderful reminders that the Lord is aware of each if us.

    ReplyDelete