Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Turns out she was just hangry

This picture marks the very last moment my last baby was being exclusively breastfed. She is four months and four days old in this picture, bless her skinny-minny, haven't gained an ounce in a month little soul. It also marks the very last moment my last baby screamed uncontrollably from what her mother (the bozo) assumed was gas. She did have gas--LOTS of gas. She would send the boys into fits of wild laughter after passing long and loud "man burps." But I thought the cause of the gas was a finicky stomach, when in fact the cause of the gas was massive amounts of air bubbles swallowed when trying desperately to suck milk from my loser boobs. The moral of the story is that I have four kids and still know nothing about life. Now if that's not humbling I don't know what is.

My supply is rockin' in the am and the pm I now know thanks to my frienemy the pump, but all times in between it's a little lackluster. My guess is that the busyness and stress of tantrums and naps, school pick-up and homework, sports and dinner and all other afternoon mom jobs pushed my body into survival mode, and sadly for Coco afternoon survival mode does not include freshly-made milk. I nurse her for as long as she wants now at every feed and then make her a bottle (usually 2 or 3 ounces) which fills the cracks and puts a smile on her face, or even more heart-warming, makes her fall asleep without a care in the world. I so wish I had caught onto this sooner, the guilt when I think about her hanger is just a little more than I can take. 

There is a small part of me that mourns the fact that I couldn't be her whole source of nourishment for longer, but really it's the selfish part of me. There is a much, much larger part of me that is THRILLED for Cora--seriously so happy for her! She is full after every feed and she literally has transformed into a whole new baby. She smiles and talks and laughs and plays on the ground and get this--she no longer screams at the top of her lungs during every car ride. Bumping along in the car with a hungry tummy? Painful. Bumping along in the car with a full tummy? Peaceful and nap-inducing. And speaking of naps, she now takes them! And sleeps through the night in her very own bed in a room shared with Quinny. She's chunking up and getting rolls and trying to sit and roll and heck, she'll even stomach a small bout of tummy time these days. I wish you could see with your own two eyes the difference 10 ounces of formula a day has made in my baby because it's pretty incredible. I'm just so happy that she is so happy. 


No one is happier about Cora being introduced to the bottle than Quinny, they are her long-time love you know!



 I love you Coco! Promise never to let you go hungry again, ok?!

No comments:

Post a Comment