Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Decking the Halls


When I was growing up, the turkey was barely put away before we were decorating for Christmas. On the day after Thanksgiving we would always go to Apple Hill to cut down our tree, and then blast Christmas music as we hung lights and ornaments. I LOVE that the month of December is filled with the magical spirit of the Christmas season, and I don't want to waste one day of it. Not.one.day. SO...the second we got back from Sacramento we started decorating. We did it little by little (we don't have tons of decorations yet...or tons of space for that matter) but it was a blast and our little house looks merry and bright!

For Family Home Evening on Monday night we decorated the Christmas tree and T was totally into it. I loved the determination on his face. And PS--we blasted Christmas music while we did it! Such a good night.


The boys.


The best picture Jim has ever taken. How cute are they?


While we were putting out our decorations I was loving all the memories associated with each one. I remembered our dear friends in Wales who hosted us two years ago as I looked at the little ceramic fireplace and stockings, and my sister who gave me my first and favorite nativity, and Noni who carved a little rocking horse ornament for T last year. My parents gave us our beautiful tree, and all the bobble ornaments are from some crazy dollar store in the Bronx! I got a big smile on my face over the "our first Christmas" ornament that showcases a very pregnant newlywed, and Talmage was so excited to wear the Santa hats from Auntie Lynn. Everything I saw made me think of someone, or something. I've been feeling a little sentimental lately and this just added to those feelings. I'm just grateful for everyone who has touched my life and helped our family. This is going to be a great Christmas. I just know it.

3 comments:

  1. What great Christmas memories, and thanks to a wonderful mama (that's you) your family will have many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you! So glad you're loving every inch of this Holiday. Nothing better than Christmastime, and I am finding that kids make it more and more fun. Talmage is getting way too big! I was just making a photo book of our year in Cambridge for Verlan for Christmas (shhhh) and I can't believe what a little guy is was on our France/Belgium trip and I can't believe how good he was. I can't imagine Lauren ever behaving that well in a car seat. Never! They are both such handsome little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sat here thinking about Christmas two years ago and how we loved having the three wiggy opera playing at our house for Christmas. I very much wished you here for a huge hug so came to your blog to see what my favourite Canadian and his wonderful wife and children were up to and I get a mention xxx so I guess I got my hug after all. One funny note Heather when you were here you were so excited about having a White Christmas saying it was your first.. but my Christmas there was a white one.. so I thought you were losing the plot,then last year they showed SanFrancisco having its first white Christmas since '77 yep the year I was there xxxx

    ReplyDelete