Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Shots

Don't let that smile fool ya. It was brutal I tell you. BRUTAL! This last week I took both boys into the doctor's office for check-ups and shots. I started preparing Talmage days before the appointment, hoping that my efforts would help us avoid a total meltdown. They didn't. Evie was first, and he went balistic. He's so sensitive and more than anything I think we hurt his feelings. Rip my heart out. He cried and cried and even when he stopped crying he whimpered. Before I could adequately calm Everett it was Talmage's turn, and the doctor asked me to hold him on my lap. I put Evie on a blanket on the floor (screaming, mind you) and held Talmage on my lap (screaming, mind you) to get the shot. When the shot actually came, oh mamacita, it was not a pretty picture in that office. Screaming--even louder than before. Crying. Hysterics. Poor doctor. Poor patients in the waiting room. Poor nurses. Poor boys. Heck, poor me!


I wish I could say that the rest of the visit was more enjoyable, but it wasn't. It seems that Evie is not maintaining his weight curve (which is hard to believe when you look at those cheeks!), probably because his heart still has some major defects and is using more energy than it should be. Also, she feels that we need another echo soon because his heart murmur is so loud. There were some other issues we discussed about Evie, unfortunately none of them were positive.


When the appointment was over, I decided that we needed some ice cream (actually I bribed T with ice cream if he would calm down after the shot, maybe that's why he's smiling in the picture above?) I couldn't find an ice cream shop, so we ended up going through the drive-thru at Jack in the Box and getting milkshakes. Bless Jack's heart. That milkshake was darn good and so needed.

4 comments:

  1. Ice Cream can make most things better! Good job for keeping up the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... Ice cream always makes me feel better! I've been there and done that with two screaming kids and it is NOT fun! Every time I think, what was I thinking coming here with the kids by myself! But somehow I do it every time :) I hope everything is ok with sweet little E. He is so adorable and we'll keep him in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that sometimes ice cream just seems like the appropriate end to many days... and I now FINALLY understand the value of a drive-thru; it may take longer, but kids stay IN THE CAR! :) Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doctor's appointment sounds like it was MISERABLE! Your boys are darling! I can't believe how big Talmage is. Little Ev is in my prayers. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete