Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mommy, Wow! I'm a big kid now.

Last week Talmage was getting into the bath and said super matter-of-factly,

"Uh Mommy. I potty-training now."

I gotta admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

I've learned a thing or two about parenting this child, and one of the biggest things I've learned is to avoid a power struggle at all cost--hence my insistence that potty-training would not begin until he was totally in.

Luckily he was 2, not 10, when he decided it was a good idea.



Monday was day one, and within the first two hours we had had two wet accident. Call me a sissy, but I was ready to raise the white flag. Luckily, my mom calmed me down and reassured me that this was normal and to keep going. I'm sure glad I did. We just finished day 6, and those 2 accidents on Monday were the ONLY ones we have had. I can barely believe it. Knock on wood Talmage was the easiest kid to potty-train in the history of potty-training!


And boy, is he proud. Friends, family members, and complete strangers are learning all about how he goes "poo-poo in da big boy toiwet." And he LOVES his underwear. Ashleigh got him cars underwear and he is so excited each day to pick out the pair he gets to wear.

Although on day one of potty-training he was going a little stir-crazy. I found him on the window sill longingly looking out the window at his friends having so much fun at the playground.

Luckily, after one day solely at home, we were able to venture out to the playground (and even a few friend's houses) later in the week. I'm so proud of him because he's been super sick this week also, but has still been good about going on the toilet. The picture above was taken on one of his sickest days. He desperately wanted to go outside and finally I gave in and said we could swing for a few minutes. Poor kid looked a little ridiculous in his jammies (tucked into his socks for added warmth, I might add) and cold-weather gear on a Palo Alto fall day! I still think he's adorable!

Good job on potty-training Mr. T. You're a stud!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! We are potty training the twins right now (yes, they are three) but I'm with you...wait until they are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Talmage! What a big boy! I love that he is so proud of himself! This is one event in his life that was "easy"! :) So glad that it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on Melanie's post! I wasn't about to even talk about going pee in the toilet until the twins came and told me they weren't wearing diapers anymore. Love it:)

    ReplyDelete