Saturday, February 11, 2012

If I could write your story, son

Another poem by the talented Stephanie Husted.


If I could write your story son
(Oh how I wish I could)
I'd pen for you a journey
That held nothing but the good.


Wouldn't it be perfect
If that job belonged to me?
I think I'd change a thing or two
While writing your story.

I'd write of lasting happiness,
The storms would stay at bay.
I'd write your story carefully,
I'd have so much to say.

You'd know not of a hospital
Or days in ICU.
You'd only know of simple things,
Like other children do.

The sun would rise...yes everyday...
And shine to make you smile.
You'd never know a day of pain
You'd never face a trial.

You'd dance to music all your own
While watching Sesame Street.
I'd tuck you into bed each night
And life would be complete.

I'd write of picnics in the park
And winters in the snow.
I'd write of laugher, joy and love.
I'd sit and watch you grow.

I'd proofread till my eyes grew tired
Each line and paragraph.
And let my pen fall to the floor,
Then stop to hear you laugh.

And never would I question
What sick children must face.
Never would I have a need
To ask God for his grace.

I'd likely live oblivious
Of what it means to be.
A member of this "special club"
I call my heart family.

If I could write your journey son,
Perhaps I'd not convey.
The message that HE longs to share
"We must live for today."

Your story has been written,
Each stroke penned with great care.
He knows each thought I have of you.
He's numbered every hair.

No I can't write your story son
Although I wish I could.
I must heed what HE says to me
"All things work for the good."

If I could write the life you'd live
I'd fail...don't you see?
I'll leave it in much better hands
He'll write it perfectly.

1 comment: