Friday, February 10, 2012

Of Hospitals, Thanks and Chocolate Cupcakes

After having two babies wind up in the Newborn ICU (Utah Valley and Mercy San Juan), a prolonged visit to the Pediatric ICU for Everett's first surgery (UC Davis), a stay in the Cardiovascular ICU for the most recent heart surgery (Lucile Packard at Stanford) and dozens of visits to the heart center, labs and offices at all of those locations, you would think that I would absolutely hate the hospital. But that's not really the case.


A hospital is a sobering place--it's full of adults and children, each with a heavy load to bear. A hospital is a reverent place--a place where earthly goodbyes are uttered and eternal reunions occur. And a hospital is also an inspiring place--a place where miracles are performed and lives are saved.


Both of my boys lives were saved in hospitals, by doctors and nurses that have spent years studying and perfecting their trade so that they would know how to bless our family. Through all of the craziness that heart disease and the treatment can bring, I have allowed myself the joy of being truly and completely grateful for all that hospitals have to offer. I respect them, I feel safe in them and I'm grateful for them.


Do I want my baby to be in the hospital? No. But that's not because I don't like them, it's frankly because I don't want my baby to be sick. But if my baby is really sick, there is no place I'd rather be than a good hospital with a good doctor and good nurses. And luckily, we've landed in those hands many times.


Our new cardiologist, Dr. Punn, is a total gem. When we were close to being discharged from the hospital I was feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Everett was being sent home much sooner than I had expected, and call me crazy but I wasn't sure if I was ready, or able, to provide him the around the clock care he needed. Dr. Punn walked into Everett's hospital room (purely for a pleasure visit, might I add) right as the bandage was coming off of Everett's chest for the first time. Seeing Evie's scar was all it took to start the tears flowing. This was only my third time seeing Dr. Punn (the first when we were told Evie needed another surgery, the second at our pre-op appointment) and I had cried every single time. He got me tissue and kept reassuring me that our baby was beautiful, that he was recovering well and that we all would be ok. He has young children, his youngest is the same age as Everett, so I feel like he talks to me with the knowledge and expertise of a doctor, but also with the empathy and concern of a fellow parent. When we visited the heart center a few days ago I vowed I would not cry! And Dr. Punn, he was just as charming as ever. Upon entering the room he immediately scooped Everett in his arms and started talking to him. I gave him a big plate of cupcakes just for him, but as delicious as they were I still don't think we're even. I imagine I will always feel a large debt of gratitude to him and our other wonderful doctors.

To say thank you to the wonderful doctors, nurses and staff at Lucile Packard who took such great care of Evie, and in honor of CHD Awareness week, we made dozens and dozens of cupcakes (triple chocolate, peanut butter and vanilla/vanilla) and delivered them to the CVICU and the floor after our appointments. It was nice to see everyone again, and I think they enjoyed seeing us too...


...and with a delivery boy like this can you blame them? Forget about the cupcakes, most of the doctors and nurses that saw Evie again wanted to eat him up! He gave everyone his signature grin and loved his wagon ride. I was pretty generous in my cupcake delivery that day, but I can honestly say that I saved the sweetest sweet for myself--and just might have nibbled on him all afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. I bet they were just happy to see that sweet little smile...man is he adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look super yummy, how did you ever keep Talmage from diving into all of them?

    Everyone must have melted when they saw that cute little baby in the wagon!

    ReplyDelete