Thursday, July 26, 2012

Can I be honest?

I was definitely underwhelmed by Sweet Lady Jane's. The buzz about this bakery is intense (lots of celebrity's have this bakery make their wedding cake/birthday cake/etc.), so I made sure to add it to my bucketlist and was super excited to check it out. But after our visit this week my overall opinion is, meh. I'd take a Sprinkles cupcake a-ny-day instead of the cake we got. Anyday.  

Beautiful? Yes. Talmage got to pick out the cake for all of us to share. His choice--yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. This combination is my all time favorite, so I was proud of his choice and couldn't wait to sink my teeth in, I mean, fork in.

Here are the things that I didn't like: the cake is served cold, like out of the fridge cold, and so the whole thing was hard. I usually love the textural difference between dense, moist cake and fluffy, creamy frosting (obsessed with cake much?) but this was just hard. No likey. Also, the cake was crumbly and tasted old maybe and the chocolate frosting was much, much, much too bitter. MUCH too bitter. I seriously took a few bites and then let T go for it...and if you know me then you know that's saying something.

These pictures crack me up! In every one T is trying to eat the frosting rose with the fork and Evie is trying to eat the frosting rose with his fingers. All along I'm saying, "Boys, look at the camera. Smile. Come on now!" and as usual, they go on doing what they want.

It wasn't a total waste because Talmage was happy as a clam! That boy can pound sweets like nobody's business! Everett ended up terrorizing the bakery with his pterodactyl screams so we left soon after this picture. I asked for a box but T was so worried that he wasn't going to get to bring the cake home that he picked up the whole piece with two hands and started shoving it in his face. What a goof!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously love reading your blog Heath. I love following the adventures of you and the boys. I also loved that you mentioned that Ev sounds like a Pterodactyl. We've been calling Lacey our Pterodactyl baby for the last few weeks because of her loud, high-pitched screams. They are definitely cousins:)

    ReplyDelete