Thursday, July 19, 2012

Saturday is SUCH the special day sometimes.

James worked through the night on Friday so that we could spend some time with him on Saturday. He hadn't really seen the boys in a week, and he wanted to, and they definitely wanted to see their dad! And since I had a verbal commitment from the big guy for a full day with the fam, I packed every single second of it. First stop, La Brea Tarpits. James had amazing childhood memories of visiting the tarpits and seeing the fossils and this was top on his personal bucket list. I am so glad we got to experience it together.
 
Those boys loved looking at the animals in the tar. It was super interesting to hear all of the stories about the creatures they have found in the pits and how they got there. I would definitely recommend visiting this museum if you are ever in town (hint hint, come visit!)

 T loved all of the animals...Evie, not so much.

For lunch, we visited Carney's hot dogs--a cute little diner inside a train car. Guess who was in heaven. Did you guess T? Ding, ding, ding, ding. He couldn't have been happier.

We both got the Carney Dog--chili, tomatoes, onions and cheese and it was ridiculously good. Go there, just do it.

Continuing with our theme of deliciousness...after naps we headed to Sprinkles Cupcakes for dinner/dessert. This was the first ever cupcake shop and to be honest I was pretty skeptical about it living up to all the hype. But it did. Every last bite was delicious. The salted caramel, chocolate covered marshmallow and milk chocolate all tie for first place. I seriously can't pick a favorite...and I think I should go again just to try a few more flavors, you know, for research purposes.

But of course, we couldn't just stop at cupcakes. I had heard that Sprinkles now did ice cream so while T and I waited in the cupcake line, James and Evie waited in the ice cream line. It was dinner! Let's just say the red velvet waffle cone with red velvet vanilla ice cream rocked our world.

Poor little Ev. He wants a bite so bad, but he gets brain freezes worse than any kid I know. Giving Evie cold treats always ends in sad tears...but not giving him any always ends in mad tears. What's a parent to do? Take pictures either way!

We ended the evening with a walk down Rodeo Drive (where I found the sunglasses by Louis Vuitton that I have worn in my dreams the last week!) There is a section that feels like Europe and I loved it. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment