Tuesday, July 3, 2012

a ONEderful weekend

Everett's birthday weekend was one-derful for many reasons. First, it was his birthday and we were able to celebrate his one-year-old-awesomeness. Second, we were able to eat donuts, cake, cookies and other sugary things for days on end with a very good birthday excuse. And third (save the best for last) my padres decided to come spend the weekend with us in LA--a party is always more of a party when they're around!
I thought about breaking this post down and making it four posts...but that thought made me tired and grumpy...so instead I am doing a mega-weekend-post. Enjoy, if you survive!

Live music at our Thursday farmers market. T danced around in circles and Evie sat there, mesmerized more minutes.

On Friday night we went to 800 degrees, a pizza place that was given rave reviews by one of our neighbors. They are made-to-order pizza and they did not disappoint. It was kind of like Subway (you go down the line and pick all of the toppings you want) except it was super classy. I would definitely recommend it...and I'll probably go again.

Then we headed to Griffith Observatory. The Hollywood sign at sunset--yum! It made my heart pitter patter.

The Observatory was way cooler than I even expected it to be. And it's free, which always makes things 10 times cooler in my book!

Pepa and T didn't see much out of this little telescope (although the pics of them trying are awfully cute), but there were multiple AMAZING telescopes set up and we were able to see the moon and saturn. I somehow have never seen a planet with my own eyes (and a telescopes help) and I was awe-struck.

The view from the observatory was also beautiful. You could see everything in every direction. Loved it!

Saturday was the main event--Evie's first birthday! We decorated the house and waited patiently for him to wake up (he slept in super late after being kept out until almost 11 the night before!)

He looked so cute in his birthday hat and bib. That was the same bib that T wore on his first birthday. Aww!

He laughed and laughed as we sang him happy birthday, and then he devoured his donut! He was so cute and fun to watch. 

I decided to get Talmage a birthday hat also so that there wouldn't be any fights or grumpiness and I think that was a very, very good idea! I also told James to bring home two donuts with sprinkles so there wouldn't be any craziness there either. Talmage loved his donut too, if you couldn't tell.

We spent the whole day at the beach and it was perfect! Everett bum-scooted all the way from the towels to the water and everyone on the beach was entertained by his mode of transportation. He loved playing in the water and with the sand toys and he ended up conking out in Jim's arms. I forgot my camera, but we took lots of pics with my moms so I'll get those soon. When we got home from the beach we did the first birthday cake smash!

I ended up getting the cakes made at our local bakery and it was perfect. We are living with the barest of essentials and I didn't have the energy to buy all of the cake making/decorating tools, and this turned out to be a delicious and easy alternative. So delicious and easy, in fact, that I'm thinking about making it a tradition!

He loved the cake. He went from putting his fingers in the frosting and licking them, to sticking his face in the cake, to picking it up and putting it in his mouth, to destroying it! Here is the pic progression:

The whole time he said, "Yummm. Mmmm." It was adorable, especially since we didn't even know he could say those words!

 Not to be outdone, Talmage also decided to stick his face in the cake! 

My parents know that I am obsessed with straws and they brought me a straw that is shaped like sunglasses. I'm so cool!

On Sunday we walked around the temple and took in its goodness, and then decided to take a little walk at the Hollywood Walk of Fame. No offense Hollywood, but you're kind of shady. And even though I loved marking you off of my bucket list, I'll know for next time that you're not very Sunday appropriate :)

Did you know that street people are drawn to me? Seriously. My first kiss (on the cheek) was from the silver man in San Fran. No joke. And this guy (whoever he's supposed to be) came running after me on the street offering me a free picture with him. I'm such a scaredy cat sometimes and was trying to run away from him, but he caught up to me and said, "I've been watching you. You can have a picture for free." Slightly freaky, yes. Awesome picture and memory, mostly yes.

 Walt Disney's star.

T at the Chinese Theatre in Will Smith's footprints. How cool is that? I actually really loved the theatre and searching for the names of my favorite movie stars.

On Monday before my parents headed out (and T and I bawled our eyes out) we went to Hole in the Wall burgers for lunch. This place is seriously a hole in the wall...a very, extremely, completely delicious hole in the wall.

Seriously, this is the place. It's tucked behind a Winchell's donut shop and you can't even see it from the street. It's ranked on LA's best burger list as #5. All I have to say is I can't imagine what #4 tastes like because this place was amazing. {And just fyi, we ate at Umami Burger, ranked #6, on Evie's birthday and it was good--especially the truffle burger--but this was more filling and in my opinion more delicious.}

My hamburger and sweet potato fries. I stuck with the regular bun and the boring burger and it was fab...that says something. The sweet potato fries were the  best I've ever had. EVER.

My dad got his burger on their famous pretzel bun with an egg, bacon and avocado. He was floored with how good it was, and both of my parents said that it was an LA must-do when visitors come.

So friends and family, want a hole in the wall burger? Come visit and we'll get you one!!!

Thanks Mom and Dad for coming to visit and partying with us. You guys rock.

And happy birthday again until next year little Ev! Loves.

1 comment:

  1. What a great weekend! We were so happy to be with you on Everett's big day - the pictures of him eating his cupcake are the cutest ever! Oh and by the way, my stomach grumbled as soon as I saw those amazing burgers at Hole in the Wall - looking forward to round 2 someday! :)

    ReplyDelete