Thursday, July 5, 2012

One Year Later...

Everett after his first surgery. July 5, 2011.

One year can make a world of difference, that I know for sure. One year ago today Everett had his first heart surgery. I remember following his processional to the OR in my wheelchair, still in pain from a fresh c-section, but mostly numb from the shock of our sweet boy's diagnosis and surgery. Thankfully, the surgery was successful and his life was spared. I think about that day often and feel so much gratitude. He is a special boy and has been growing and progressing every day since.  

The last few days, however, I have seen more progression and at a much more rapid pace than ever before. I always found it humorous when people asked the birthday person if they felt older or more mature on their big day--as if the day circled in red sharpie on the calendar posessed some magical maturing powers. BUT, in the case of Everett Knight, June 30th had just that effect!

Two nights before his birthday, Everett slept through the night for the first time. I thought it was a fluke, but knock on wood it hasn't stopped. Hallelujah for a full nights rest. He has also started talking. His favorite word is ball (ba), but he also says mama, dada, wow, oh, yum and mmm. It is so darn cute to hear words come out of those little lips, and he never said any of them before his birthday. The week before his birthday, Evie started pulling himself up, rolling over and sitting himself on his bottom by himself...and today, HE CRAWLED! Talmage came into our room saying, "Mommy, Evie's crawling" and I went into the front room and sure enough he was crawling across the room. WOW!  I think he was proud of himself, or maybe he was just amused by my reaction! Regardless, one year has been really good for Evie so far--and we can't wait to see what's in store for him next.

Everett, only slightly amused, at the Pacific Palisades Parade. July 4, 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for crawling!! So excited about all these new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everett is such a darling and a true miracle! By the way, I seriously could comment on just about every one of your posts. When you wrote about taking pictures of your kids sleeping, I laughed because I had been taking pictures of Noah sleeping that day. Love your blog and seeing your sweet family and all of the FUN you're having!

    ReplyDelete