Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Seinfeld!!!

When I was a little girl my Noni and Grampa lived with us for a little under a year after their Sacramento house sold and before their Washington home was completed. I have so many vivid memories from that time in my childhood so I know it must've been just as wonderful as I remember. Four-to-a-room sibling sleepovers (AKA--four little bodies in an even smaller room so that N&G could have the other bedroom in the house) and a surprise disneyland trip and my personal dinner date with Grampa at Red Lobster and Noni talking my Mom into letting me shave my legs are just a few of the memories bouncing around my brain. But what I remember most from this era is that every night after dinner Grampa would request a big bowl of ice cream (his favorite at the time was Rocky Road--is it still?) and he'd sit in the family room and watch an episode of Seinfeld. We'd all watch it with him and I think I loved it, but what I remember now more than anything is being thrilled that Grampa loved it so much. He'd eat his ice cream and laugh deep from his belly and my little body would just want to burst knowing that this show and that ice cream and our house were bringing him so much joy. I can't think of Seinfeld without thinking of him.

Anyway, that's a really loooonnnnggg explanation of why when I heard that Hulu was releasing all the seasons of Seinfeld on their streaming site and were doing a promotional event in Chelsea where they were allowing fans to tour an exact replica of Jerry's apartment I knew I had to be there! This all went down on T's last week of school so things were quite crazy around here, but I saw the apartment and met the Soup Nazi and made the WSJ while I was at it! Not bad for a morning adventure, right?

I was seriously considering wearing an 80's dress and big hair that would've made Elaine jealous, but then I remembered school pick-up right after and decided in this case that boring was better. Jerry's kitchen was just as I remembered it being!

How many kids can you fit on Jerry's couch? Well, let's see. Almost a million! They were nice enough to clear the place out before letting us in--we didn't bug anyone else and we had full use of the sofa, win-win.

Ever Knight, you can always count on him to smile for a picture!

Pretending to do some stand-up after touring the apartment. Everett thinks he's pretty funny, Quinny's silly sounds are impressive and my stage fright behind a mic is impressive.

Everett had no idea why I bribed him to pose on this chaise, but George Castanza would've been proud! (He'd have been more proud had Ev taken his shirt off, but I couldn't get him to do it! Yes, I tried!)

"No soup for you! Well, Except Quinny...you can have all the soup you want!" Meeting the Soup Nazi was the most unexpected and greatest part of our adventure. #favoriteepisode

Heaven forbid we end an adventure without a treat. This time it was Banh Mi sammy's at Chelsea Market and then mini black and whites at Empire Cake. Oh, and of course a box of Junior Mints for good measure ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment