Saturday, December 31, 2016

A Very Barfy Christmas (And a Coughy New Year)

How was our Christmas, you ask? It's too soon to go there, I'm afraid! The short story of what felt like a lloooonnnggg Christmas break was that we were all miserably sick for basically the whole time. There was a terrible stomach flu that took out each member of our immediate and extended family one unfortunate soul at a time and then there was the horrible cold that rushed both girls, Uncle Chase and Mema to Urgent Care with fevers, bronchitis and ear infections. There was so much barf. There was so much coughing. There was absolutely no sleeping and very little peace on earth. There were lots of antibiotics and pain relievers administered, boxes of saltines and tissues used and hundreds of hours of movies watched. We have no pictures of us in our Christmas best because basically for a week straight we didn't leave our jammies. I'm always tired but I'm extra tired when I think back on those ten days (and worse yet, nights!) They didn't see any of us Wigs at our best, that's for sure.

That being said, my little boys keep commenting on how this Christmas was the greatest one ever and Quinn keeps begging to go back to Mema's house. They were just as sick as the rest of us, but isn't it amazing how kids have the ability to be so positive, so forgiving and so optimistic. Talmage is in love with his new bike, and the Po Dameron X-Wing lego set he's always wanted was wrapped under the tree. Everett can't stop looking at his pokemon cards and gifted Cora his scooter when his new bright blue beauty was delivered by Santa. Quinn is excited about her pink bike and Coco can't stop chewing on her new Sophie giraffe. More than that, though, they keep talking about how their cousins are their best friends, their grandparents the greatest, their aunts and uncles the funny and funnest and how hanging out with them for almost two whole weeks was the best part of their year.

Their glass-half-full example makes me remember the best moments of this holiday season, like an impromptu daddy daughter date with Ash and my Pops to the bookstore where we promised him Dollar Store money if he wore Quinn's headband through the store (which he did, and we paid up!) They help me remember Quinn's sweet, sick voice whispering to me in the dark, "Mom, don't weave. Stay wif me." and the magical feelings in my heart knowing that this Christmas my gift to her was laying by her side and helping her feel safe. They remind me that Santa visited on the mountain bringing with him toys and renewed Christmas spirit, that we visited Great Papa in Memory Care and sang him songs while he stroked Quinn's back, that Avers and Quinners got pedicures from Mema on the kitchen table before helping make juice for the masses. This Christmas we met Brendan and saw how his eyes sparkle for our Kate--young love for our youngest sister, so beautiful, so nice. I always want to remember how wonderful it was to give meaningful gifts to our family this year, and how spoiled we felt by so many meaningful gifts meant just for us. And oh my, I will never forget reading the book that Talmage wrote for me all about our family and bawling because he is so wise, so eloquent, so full of love and gratitude and so many of my dreams are coming true through him. It doesn't take much effort to realize that this Christmas was one of the loveliest.

Of course we hope that the Christmas of 2017 and all those that follow are full of health and happiness, but were they to er on the side of sickness, I pray that I can always remember the incredible examples shown this Christmas by Mr. T, Ever Knight, Quinny-Girl and Coco-Ru and see the good. There is always good to be seen. Always.



1 comment: