Wednesday, December 7, 2016

When the results came in

I wasn't with her, I was firmly on team McMullin is a joke, I didn't know Jill even existed until Ever filled me in after a political debate in his Kinder class but one thing is for sure,  I was (am) #nevertrump, #nevereverfreakingevertrump. Despite my lack of enthusiasm, I walked the kids to our nearest polling station on November 6th and fulfilled my civic duty because I want my kids to know that their voices, their vote, their opinions matter...and so do mine. I want them to know that it's OK to be different from everyone else if you choose, or the exact same if that speaks to you. It's OK to be conflicted and/or confused and/or a little cynical. It's OK for them to vote for whoever the heck they want--vote their conscience--and I don't want them to EVER listen to those who say they are throwing their vote away because there's no such thing. Vote for the person that brings peace to your heart my babies. And if you can't find that person on the ballot, you just go ahead and write their name down anyway. Just never settle, OK? You're better than that.

This picture was taken on our walk home from the polling station when I was 100% sure that Hillary Clinton was going to be the next President. A friend was feeling so nervous about the election earlier in the week and I had actually laughed off her concern saying, "Please, it's in the bag! You really think Trump could win?!" Well, we live and we learn and we realize that it was actually not in the bag and we know nothing about nothing. The next morning the boys woke up with a shock to learn that our new President was him. Everett was genuinely concerned and said, "Mom, how did that happen? Donald Twump hates guhls (girls)." I've never met an elementary school play yard that was quite as political as WWC's has been this year, and you should hear the stories and information those little boys come home with (some right, some wrong, most somewhere in between). But the one that troubled Ever Knight the most and the one that he repeated over and over again was that Donald Trump was disrespectful to women, something he knew in his brain and felt in his heart was horribly wrong and unacceptable (#proudmom). To be honest, I was just as flabbergasted as he was--how did this happen? (Don't answer that, I've read the articles and I get it. But at the same time, I don't. Policy over person just doesn't sit well with me.)

Since the election results have come in our goal in the Wiggy abode is to make our babies feel safe and know that while something crazy has happened in our country, nothing will change in our home. Wigginton's love others. Wigginton's don't judge. Wigginton's are respectful and kind, open and inviting. Your name, your life-story, your religion and culture are safe in the Wigginton home, YOU are welcome in our home. And that will not change. Wigginton's are also full of faith and hope and optimism and dog-gone it, that's not going to change either. We love this country and we're praying for it, join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment