Thursday, July 20, 2017

Ratatouille, and the month of July-ish

The first thing you should know is that we have rats living in our attic. I like to close my eyes and pretend the scurrying I hear above is from cute little Disney rodents preparing for a long day of work in one of Paris' finest restaurants, but then I remember the massive amounts of droppings and the chewed up cereal boxes in the cupboard above my microwave and instead of warm fuzzies my blood begins to boil. Ratatouille makers these are not, they're cereal killers; an unopened box of sugar cereal to boot. The Orkin guy has our back and he's already brought a bad boy out in a body bag but the scurrying continues and my anxiety skyrockets. How many of them are there? And how did they get there? And why aren't they hypnotized by the brown goo the exterminator used on the traps? We should've listened to T and put a big hunk-a cheese on them because if it's between Gruyere and goo, I mean these rats aren't dummies (evidenced by their choice of cereal!) Let's just hope and pray that before long my attic returns to the dark, scary and completely rodent-free place I never enter. I liked it much better that way.

Life is moving in warp-speed lately and I'm afraid that I'll blink and the summer will have completely passed us by. We've done a pretty slam dunk job of living it up so we'll have no regrets luckily, but I still can't seem to shake the sadness at the thought of sending my boys back to school and losing our adventure time. Last week was a doozy in the worst way, but really the rest of our summer has been so ideal I've even considered homeschool--haha, jk, that's crazy talk! But I do love time shared with all four of my chickens and I'm cherishing it. We have less than a month left and it's full to the brim with fun. I can't wait! In the meantime, here are some of the adventures and random dailies from the last couple of weeks.

This is the smile of a girl who face-palmed the biggest slice of cookie dough ice cream cake and loved it way more than her dinner salad!

Lego playdate, pants optional.

In the same epic week our street was repaved and the Fire Department was called to our neighbors home. The firemen were fabulous and allowed my eager kids to climb all over their truck, put on their hat and threaten to press all the buttons. 

7/11 on 7/11. I know you didn't think we missed out on free slurpees.

We went to Orange County to swim in Melissa's in-laws pool and before we left Talmage forgot his fear of swimming in deep water and all three of the big kids went off the diving board. It was such a fun day and left us wishing there was a pool we could use on the regular.

Adventuring is my jam because being at home looks an awful lot like this all. of. the. time. I don't mind holding her all day when we're hiking or exploring or beaching but when I'm trying to sweep the floor or do the dishes, this is exhausting.

A broken laptop meant a visit to the Apple Store which is in the mall which is by a park where the kids love to play. It was a real mouse and cookie situation but ended with everyone smiling so so be it!

We went back to Rancho Palos Verde and hiked down to the tide pools. We saw tons of incredible sea life, ate our way through a backpack of snacks and left with not a dry sneaker among us. Cafe Rio on the way home sealed the deal on this being a fabulous Saturday.

I obviously can't get enough of this little thing eating. I love the cheeser grins she gives us when she's full and content!

This picture was taken immediately after I took Quinny to the bathroom and immediately before she decided to continue where she left off right there in the water. Let's just mark this down as one of the more humiliating mothering/humaning moments EVER. At least she looks cute in those kitty goggles!

My favorite part about summer is the salad dinners and this one was beyond delish. I don't take food photos often but this one deserved some coverage!

Baby's first batter (cream cheese frosting).

Another Downtown day in the books, this time for story time at the Central Library, eating ethnic food at the farmers market and dancing to live music while the kids played in Pershing Square. I love Downtown...minus the fact that it's 10 degrees hotter than our West LA paradise.

One more shot of this lovely city. LA, you've been so good to us this summer and I'm grateful. 
Let's keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment