Friday, July 21, 2017

Tough Week to be a Wig

Last week was a really hard week to be a Wig. The bad vibes hit Coco worse than the rest of us but believe you me, the blah-ness was felt family-wide. In fact, it's Friday of the following week and I'm just now able to talk about it without crying and I'm just now able to see that the rest of our summer is not doomed because of a sour spell.

Basically what we had was the perfect storm of bad attitudes, not enough structured activities out of the house, high temperatures and low patience. There was a lot of fighting and there were a lot of errands, there was poop in the pool during swim lessons and massive meltdowns at the BBQ, a whole bunch of friends were out of town and so many plans fell through. And then there was one blasted trip to the ER which could have turned a good week into a bad one but tack that ER trip on the tail of a nasty week and what you have is ugly.

The short story behind Cora's hospital trip is that her finger was the unfortunate recipient of Quinny's wrath over visitors entering her bathroom. We were all getting ready for beach day, Quinny using one bathroom and me using the other, but before long I heard Cora crying louder than ever before. I was still working on pulling on my swim suit so I called her into my bathroom but I wasn't prepared for the bloody mess that would push open the door. There was blood EVERYWHERE and I immediately grabbed a towel and held her sweet little hand together, not knowing where the blood was coming from but trying to contain it nonetheless. 

When I finally was able to control the bleeding I saw Coco's pointer finger nearly hanging off her hand. Oh. My. Awful. I took the middle two kids to Melissa's house and had T accompany me to the ER so that he could hold her hand together during the drive. Luckily the Santa Monica ER is top notch and Cora did not need surgery or amputation (real concerns of mine during the drive there) but she did leave with a handful of stitches and a directive to stay away from water. And doors. And mostly her sister. Geez.

Poor Cora-baby and poor me and poor everyone around us--last week was not our best work. But we leave on vacation tomorrow and it can only go up from here, right? Let's hope so!

Poor owie-baby in the ER. The good news is that I didn't pass out when she got her stitches (maybe a record for me), the bad news is that she got a whole lot of stitches and I had to sing primary songs super loud to keep both of us calm. It's seriously franken-finger under that blanket!

In no time she was back to her happy, smiley, joyful little self. I love you Cora Sue...sorry about your finger girlfriend!

No comments:

Post a Comment