Friday, October 9, 2009

Miracle of the Broken Bike

Yesterday started out as a no-good very bad day (or so we thought). My hair straightener started smoking (at least I didn't lose my hair this time!) and now I am stuck to just a British blow dryer and a ponytail holder. Bummer. But in news more relevant to the title of this entry, Jim was riding our newly aquired bike to school (thank you to the O'Connor's for lending it to us) when his back wheel completely fell off. Yeah, not good. He's so lucky he didn't get seriously hurt. He was late for school and seriously bummed about the situation. BUT, it turned out to be a really, really, really good thing! While he was working on the bike outside Pembroke he met a fellow student who was working on her bike. They started chatting, somehow Council Taxes were brought up (we have to pay a huge tax to live in the city), and before long Jim learned that with him being a student and me being a non-UK-resident-spouse we are exempt from paying Council Tax. YEP! I called them last night and went into the office this morning and sure enough, we're cleared. Can you believe that? We are feeling about 1000 pounds richer and we might even celebrate at McDonalds...I'll let you know. So, at first we thought the broken bike was a bummer, but now we know it was a blessing. I love the way Heavenly Father works!

No comments:

Post a Comment